Fog of War

I have a feeling this could turn into a flame fest but I for one think this could fix the wookie problem once and for all. Now bear with me and the console people who wish PC would stay out of this can keep their mouths shut as I really don't give a rats @@@ what you think. Most of you who know me personally know that I am an avid Battlefield fan on the PC for years since the original.  Now back to the topic, and this has been implemented in the battlefield series since the beginning, only starting with the BC spinoffs did they change this for the worse.  I hope they bring back the fog of war and lose the 12x scopes. In BF2, you could only target something that was in your field of view which was in a 100m radius and farther on some of the other maps. For example, I have taken screenshots on the highest settings on 2 different maps, Strike at Karkand and Wake Island 2007 to show what I mean.

High Settings

Karkand

Normal View

Wake Island 2007

Normal

Zoomed In

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Was fog a game feature, or was it just a way to ease off on actively processing large portions of the map? Because I know a lot of older, resource intensive games did that.

On the other hand, this sort of limited visibility could be implemented by using realistic weather effects. Night maps, blizzards, thunderstorms, sandstorms, etc, could be used to reduce player visibility and prevent them from eyeballing the entire map. And since no one uses variable weather at all in shooters, BF3 could be a trailblazer in this field.

I would love that to be implemented, but I have feeling that DICE is too scared to anger the snipers as they make up roughly 1/4 of the player base and they can't afford to lose the revenue. They would choose to migrate to another game instead of, god forbid, change to a class that benefited the team.

[quote user="FEARecon"]

I would love that to be implemented, but I have feeling that DICE is too scared to anger the snipers as they make up roughly 1/4 of the player base and they can't afford to lose the revenue. They would choose to migrate to another game instead of, god forbid, change to a class that benefited the team.

[/quote]

Then why even have a recon class and scoped rifles? I'm not saying I advocate yahoos sitting 500 meters away from an objective and farming kills. I'm just saying if you can't snipe, why even make it available in the game? This "fog" thing won't happen, at least not anymore than what we already have in BFBC2. Snipers always have been and always will be a necessary evil in online shooters.

[quote user="DTW Dirty Harry"]

[quote user="FEARecon"]

[/quote]

Then why even have a recon class and scoped rifles? I'm not saying I advocate yahoos sitting 500 meters away from an objective and farming kills. I'm just saying if you can't snipe, why even make it available in the game? This "fog" thing won't happen, at least not anymore than what we already have in BFBC2. Snipers always have been and always will be a necessary evil in online shooters.

[/quote]

too true...hey man, I know it can be irritating playing on a team full of morons, but one can always switch to a new server....otherwise adapt and improvise .....besides a good sniper is a force multiplier .....if you keep getting killed by enemy snipers then change tactics and/or your approach....taking away the choice to even use the class to its full potential including sniping is kinda dumb

this constant crying and whining about "bushwookies" is old.....reminiscent of the "noobtube" rants way back on COD4....."waaaaa waaaaaa waaaaaa bushwookies waaaaaa!"......change the record man

Maybe as a weather effect, but not as an everytime thing.

[quote user="FEARecon"]

[/quote]

Then why even have a recon class and scoped rifles? I'm not saying I advocate yahoos sitting 500 meters away from an objective and farming kills. I'm just saying if you can't snipe, why even make it available in the game? This "fog" thing won't happen, at least not anymore than what we already have in BFBC2. Snipers always have been and always will be a necessary evil in online shooters.[/quote]

I have no problem with snipers as they hand out free tags or smoke kills but I have rarely seen non-camping snipers on consoles.

[quote user="FEARecon"]

[/quote]

Then why even have a recon class and scoped rifles? I'm not saying I advocate yahoos sitting 500 meters away from an objective and farming kills. I'm just saying if you can't snipe, why even make it available in the game? This "fog" thing won't happen, at least not anymore than what we already have in BFBC2. Snipers always have been and always will be a necessary evil in online shooters.[/quote]

I never said there shouldn't be a recon class. What I was trying to say is that if those "zomg i wantz 500 point hedshotz1!1!!" snipers could no longer see across the entire map they wouldn't want to play anymore, which is unfortunately a lot of people. I acknowledged a long time ago that snipers will always be a constant annoyance no matter what shooter I play, but that doesn't stop me from complaining about them every now and then or getting irritated when I see 3 smurfs rubbing shoulders with each other up on some hill a mile away from the objective.

[quote user="FEARecon"]

[quote user="FEARecon"]

[/quote]

I never said there shouldn't be a recon class. What I was trying to say is that if those "zomg i wantz 500 point hedshotz1!1!!" snipers could no longer see across the entire map they wouldn't want to play anymore, which is unfortunately a lot of people. I acknowledged a long time ago that snipers will always be a constant annoyance no matter what shooter I play, but that doesn't stop me from complaining about them every now and then or getting irritated when I see 3 smurfs rubbing shoulders with each other up on some hill a mile away from the objective.

[/quote]

I realize you never said precisely that however I felt the inference was there. I don't get sniped too often in this game. Due to my play style I tend to take snipers out from behind enemy lines since I tend to sneak into the backfield. Last week I got behind enemy lines and stabbed three snipers in a row in less than 4 seconds. They were all conveniently lined up for me on a ridge. lmao

With all this having been said, I can sense your frustration stems from snipers on your team who aren't really contributing to the completion of an objective. That would seem to be the case for most of us. I'm not at all scared to leave a server and find another when I encounter this issue.

Maybe they should add this in.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

My observations while playing BF2 vs BC2 in terms of snipers is that I have rarely seen any snipers camping on the PC mainly due to the "fog of war". If they can't see that far, they have to keep close to the action and there for help the team.