First Mass Effect 3 Review Surfaces (SPOILERS!)

[Final warning: this thread contains spoilers, so do not read this if you don't want to know].

Space, the final frontier.....no, wait, sorry. That's wrong. *ahem* In a galaxy.....damn. Ain't no place I could be since I found Serenity......nope. Errrr, my name is John Crichton, I used to be an astro.....no, that's not right either.   I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on the Xbox.com forums. That's the one! Right!

-

The first review for the final piece of Shepard's epic space-journey has surfaced courtesy of German PC gaming magazine, GameStar. A helpful member of the Bioware forums, named Hagren, has translated a few of the key points from the review. The major points that cought my own interest was that RPG mode feels closer to ME1 and that the main storyline lasts around 15-20 hours, with a total of about 40 hours if you wish to do everything. Anyway, here's the translation:

-

"15-20 hour-long main quest
-Around 40 hours playtime in total- side missions are vital to amass enough opposition to the Reaper threat
-90 minutes of cutscenes
-No loose ends or cliffhangers, the game is truly an appropriate end to the trilogy with a very intense and touching finale
-More than 100 scenes, conversations and/or events change depending on our choices after importing a save-game from ME2- from something small like someone thanking us for completing a mission to bigger repercussions which would be to spoilerous to write down- you are definitely going to feel the consequences, and not always like them
-SPOILER: In order to rally allies, we search for a cure for the Genophage, build a Prothean weapon, disarm a Cerberus bomb before it destroys half of a moon, and are even inserted virtually in a computer program
-If and how many of these quests we complete influences how the game ends, and who- individually and globally- survives
-While the game can be enjoyable for newcomers as well, because the game is strong on its own mechanically and story-wise, it is recommended to play the first two entries to make more sense out of the wealth of information that the game builds on
-There's an interesting sequence after the end credits
-The „Role-Play“ mode of the game (In contrast to „Action“ and „Story“) feels very much like ME1
-The game gives you more opportunity to customize your Shepard. Each class has 8 talents with 6 levels each, and up from Level 4 there are two branches to choose from to level up each individual talent differently. Weapon customization is also a factor and noticeable, but the effects (which have both pros and cons) are only marginal
-Balancing isn't optimal
-The game is noticeably more difficult up from „Medium“, which makes using the correct weapon mods and talents integral to survive. Shepard also shoots more accurately in cover.
-The AI, on the other hand, is still not very advanced
-SPOILER: You are going to visit Krogan ruins, a Geth ship and the Turian moon Palaven, among others
-There are multiple turret sections which aren't very well directed
-Despite the shortcomings in level design, which are similar to ME2, the game is constantly thrilling, spectacular and dramatic- largely thanks to the well-presented story and dialogue- and there are lot of small and large choices again to ponder on
-Scanning isn't nearly as repetitive as before, because it works a lot quicker now and incorporates a new mini-game where you have to navigate your ship away from Reaper threat
-The new melee option is fun, but a little overpowered
-Graphically, the low polycount, lack of detail and low texture resolution disappoints- the characters are well animated and modeled however, and the overall look, despite its age, is quite moody
-Great dynamic soundtrack and sound-effects
-Our progress in the war effort is constantly trackable on a terminal on the Normandy

In summary, the game builds on the strenghts of ME2 and takes some notes from ME1 to create the most compelling experience in the franchise yet. " 

--------

Another helpful user pointed out the they scored Mass Effect 3 a great 9/10. They also pointed out that Gamestar is well known for being fussy and quite critical with their reviews.

-------

Also note that for obscure reason the platform they reviewed it on was Playstation 3. Don't ask me why a PC magazine was reviewing it on Playstation 3. The world is a strange place. 

--------

Thoughts? Comments? Inane babbling? Rants? LET THY VOICE BE HEARD! But not too loud, mind, I've got people asleep in the next room. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Thanks for the linkage xxWOLFxx TFD, the amount of cutscenes seems a little low than I would have expected...:-)

Any review which gives a perfect (or near perfect) score to a game which hasn't even been released yet, should be taken with a grain of salt at best, ignored at worst. TBH, I was expecting a review like this, and I'm fully expecting similar ones next month (I admit, I'm waiting for Yahtzee's review of ME3 on Zero Punctuation as he's one of the only reviewers I agree with) with 'glowing' scores out of 10.

It seems really short.... Forty hours with all cutscenes? All missions? Maybe they just sped through.

ME2 only took me 30 hours with all cutscenes and all missions.

I have to agree with implantedwall 14.  Mass Effect  took me 55 hours to complete and Mass Effect 2 took me 58 hours both with all cutscenes and missions and everything in between. Either way, I will be going for the 60 hours mark if I can but at least I know I will get 50 + hours in Mass Effect 3. My only guess is that the reviewer must have sped through Mass Effect 3 to give out their very early review. 

It takes me a lot longer than that.... I am really slow when I play Mass Effect.

Nothing wrong with that, I too like taking my time in Mass Effect.

Sorry, that was meant to the guy who said it took him 30 hours. I take 50 to 60 hours when I take my time and do everything. Which is most of the time. In Mass Effect 1 I could spend much longer. Nearly every planet has something to explore...

i'm still a little miffed that your me2 level transfers over, so i'm only getting half the experience in me3 and won't need to play twice to get everything in the game...i assume. it sounds like there'll be plenty of side-missions and planets to explore, which is always welcome.

It's the 90 minutes of cutscenes (if that's correct) that seems very short, how long it takes one to play the game, especially now with different modes, depends on the individual, by comparison Arkham City, which isn't the most "epic" in the amount of cutscenes, has nearly 3 hours of cutscenes alone, I would've expected atleast 3 hours from MASS Effect 3...:-)