Finished Games

I read an article recently (I think it was in Playstation Magazine) that talked about how most gamers never finish the games they start. Unfortunately, the data was supplied by a site that tracks trophies. Personally, I don't care that much about trophies or award points. If I like a game, I'll most likely finish the story mode, and consider myself done. If there are a few undiscovered items that I didn't find, so what? I got to see how the story ends, and had fun in the processes. If I play it again on a new difficulty level (or even the same one), I consider myself to be playing a new game. Just like how every time you sit down to a board game that you've played before is a new game.

So I'm curious, how many people out there have basically the same view? Do you keep playing a game that you lost interest in just to get that last Achievement Award or trophy? With a game like Dragon Age, do you REALLY play it through six times to get ALL of the character awards, or just the once or twice with characters you like, then decide that the game is officially over, the heck with the remaining trophies?

Is a game really over because the player has finished the story mode, and whatever DLC or extras are in the game (such as the challenges after God of War: The Ghost of Sparta), or does the company that makes the game decides that it's over? Personally, I think there are a LOT of games that I'd like to at least try. There are also a lot of games that I enjoy playing over again, either by myself or with friends.

I have to be honest, my trophy / achievement cards are looking a bit sloppy. I have some PS listings without any awards (not just the pay-to-play games like DCU), and some Xbox games with just one or two (has anybody gotten all of the awards for Hextic). Do I REALLY have to keep playing a shooter until I've killed 5000 of a certain type of enemy with a specific gun, or can I move on with a clear conscious, knowing that someone else will keep fighting the imaginary war until its over?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I don't play for achievements.  I play for entertainment purposes only.  I only have full achievements for 3 games, lol.

If the game is really good and I love it, I will play for all the achievements. Some games I don't care to complete. I rented Captain America for 2 euro. If I don't get all the achievements I won't care because the game is only ok, but I will at least finish the story before Syndicate comes out in a few days. My pre-order is just waitin for me.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!

[quote user="Psycho Archer"]

I'll most likely finish the story mode, and consider myself done.

[/quote]
That is done or finished. If a game has a story mode and you complete it then it's beaten. Achievement completion is a meaningless stat tacked on to keep people playing longer. Multiplayer games with no story mode have no ending so whenever you stop playing is when you finish it.

I don't consider my games finished unless I have all achievements. But that's just me personally. If I would make an article about gamers not finishing games, I'd definitely base that on story mode completion.

I separate games beaten from games  with 100% achievements. I beat Mirrors edge I just don't have 100% of the achievements. Bioshock and Mass Effect would have been the worst games I ever bought but achievements got me to revisit the games. I play once for the game and second plus play throughs for achievements.

I'll play through the campaign and watch the end credits roll. A game has to be really bad for me not to finish it. I'll go for the achievements that look fun or interesting. But I couldn't care less about getting them all.

I think using Achievements/ Trophies alone for determining if a Game is "finished" is a little "off". Whoever was surveying the Data might have been a little more through. A bunch of Achievements/ Trophies do not mean 100% (even if all are obtained). Many Games go way past (Achievements) with In-Game Unlocks and such, that are not tracked via an Achievement.

Personally, I consider a Game "finished" when there is no additional Content (retail or DLC) of any type to be further played or Unlocked. Now, that doesn't mean I'm going to do that with every Game but I try on a few at least. Especially if I really liked them to begin with.

It's a mixture of both for me, beating the game means seeing the credits at the end. Finishing the game means doing all the achievements. Like a 'You have beaten all our challenges/achievements' sort of thing.  That's just my view. But like LostKauz says, there are games that go further than just Achievements. (Skyrim for example)

I want all the achievements, but I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to always get them.  Assassin creed flags- not happening.  the falling from a cliff onto an elite in reach- not happening.  

Over time I've cared less and less about achievements.Probably because over the course of this generation I've adopted more platforms rather than "just" the 360. I think the last game that I really went after all the achievements was Hitman: Blood Money. On my much older account I lost years back.

-

In the early days of the 360, they really helped ruin a few multiplayer games too when devs would throw in MP achievements. At which point matches would be ruined by a bunch of players only trying to grab them rather than play the match. I have to give IW and Treyarch credit for keeping COD achievements out of the competitive MP.

-

I think a lot of devs haven't cared too much about them for a while now. A lot of achievements these days look pretty run of the mill and don't cover the full game like others have said. Gamers seemed to have calmed down on treating achievements too seriously too. I remember a time some people would judge others on the forum based on their achievements. Which is absurd.