Faster Speechcraft *Possible Spoilers*

As a moderately useful skill (it gets you more money, which is good and lets you intimidate/bribe/persuade) I just have a few observations for people interested in advancing the skill.  Of course the skill advances when you make a intimidate\bribe\persuasion attempt, it increases by more if you are successful, but either way you get a gain.  The other, natural, way to increase the skill is to sell items.  Skill increases based on the value of the item you are selling, but all transactions for 1 gold or more increase the skill.  Some simple tricks to leveling the skill faster involve using this feature.

• Lockpicks and arrows have no weight and are plentiful (plus if you are using the Skeleton Key\Unbreakable Perk you don't really need all those picks), arrows are especially easy to get.  Iron, steel, and forsworn arrows can be found in abundance.  When you have a hefty stash (I don't recommend keeping hundreds of them, the reason why will become evident later on) goto a merchant and begin re-selling them.  When you sell them be sure to sell them one at a time.  I know it is time consuming, but this is how the skill works:  When you sell a bundle of 50 arrows, it counts as one transaction for the value of just that one item.  That means you lose out on 49 other opportunities to get a few points into the speechcraft skill.  This of course works best with expensive arrows and since much of the damage done by a bow is determined by the bow itself you may want to sacrifice those elven, ebony, and glass arrows (or even daedric) to get some bonus points in speechcraft.  This works great for potions too, unfortunately potions tend to get heavy very quickly, but if you just pick up every potion you find worth more than say 100 gold you can get some fast skill gains when you re-sell them.

So moral of the story:  Take the time and sell off your loot individually!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I don't believe that's entirely correct.

I know it worked like that in Oblivion, but I don't believe it's exactly the same in Skyrim.

Its the same system.  One of the de-facto resources for Elder Scrolls games has it listed as well.

http://www.uesp.net/.../Skyrim:Speech

No proof/formula/anything there, though, and anyone makes mistakes.

By that same token though, I could very well be wrong.

You are the single most negative person in the forums.  Excerpt here:

Trading with merchants will increase your speech skill. The amount of skill progress gained is based on the base value of the item being bought/sold. However, if you trade multiple units of an item in one transaction, you will only gain experience equivalent to trading a single unit; for optimal leveling, sell each item one at a time, and sell expensive items.

If you want ironclad proof, I never offered it.  I offered only experiential advice.  As I have done exactly what I posted about and noted significant gains I can confidently say the method I described works.

ChainSmokingBob, you are certainly correct. I've tested this myself and others are free to do so. Once I had a stack of 7 items that I sold all at once which increased my speechcraft. Then I saved and redid the sell doing them one by one and it didn't increase on the first sale, I think it was the 6th or even 7th where my level went up again. So it definitely doesn't matter if you sell them one by one. I think it's based off of something more general. Possibly just overall money exchange.

If you need to level Speechcraft talk to Ungerien at the Black Briar Meadery in Riften. Ask him about Maven and he'll tell you she's a wonderful person, you then have the option 'Tell me the real story' which is a persuade check of 25. Even after you pass it, that option stays on the dialogue and you can click it over and over again to get to 100. That's much simpler then trying to sell arrows 1 at a time.

One comment, iron arrows have no value when you try to sell them (unless that changes when you have bonuses?) and everything in lots of less than six sells one at a time anyway. But the advice is good. Look for amulets that raise speechcraft for persuasion, etc. and ones that raise barter (I just got a necklace of imminent barter) for selling so you get the best price but sell everything even fur shoes.

Re: iron arrows: you can sell them once your skill level is high enough.  Sorry, I don't know what specific level it is, but eventually you reach it and you can sell them, forsworn arrows, the ancient dragur arrows, etc.

Sounds good... though the issue i'm having now is that my enchanting and smithing skill has been maxed out. And the prices for my loot they can't seem to keep up with. I often have to end up buying other miscellaneous items they have for sale just so i can sell my loots at full price. Kind of an inconvenience. Anyone try the investment perks? are they worth it?

"ChainSmokingBob, you are certainly correct. I've tested this myself and others are free to do so. Once I had a stack of 7 items that I sold all at once which increased my speechcraft. Then I saved and redid the sell doing them one by one and it didn't increase on the first sale, I think it was the 6th or even 7th where my level went up again. So it definitely doesn't matter if you sell them one by one. I think it's based off of something more general. Possibly just overall money exchange".

Thank you. I didn't think it was the case otherwise.

"You are the single most negative person in the forums".

You are the most fallible I've seen yet, so I'll take being the most negative.