Far Cry 3 map editor = Minecraft on steroids!

I cant wait for this game and the map editor looks beyond amazing, the single player looks mind blowing, multiplayer looks like loads of fun, I can wait for this game. Map editor is the main selling point for me and to me it reminds me of Minecraft hopped up on Shao Kahn juices.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

haha...that's pretty crazy, I was just thinking about trying to make a minecraft-style map in the FC3 map editor :P ...I think it'd be kinda possible!...I know you can use a square brush, just use a small one and use the "set height" function, bam, you've got yourself (more or less) a minecraft block! - now repeat a few thousand times, and there ya go! :P ....just add appropriate terrain paint for the finishing touch......I'm so gonna try that!

I am just happy they kept this feature.  Not to give them ideas but I'd imagine they would sell the Map Editor as DLC, specially in this day and age of DLC.  But then again, this is a huge aspect that Far Cry is known for so if they didn't include it, it would have killed sales.  

Watching some of the editor videos, I will have so much fun just designing a map and even if the public never joins, I (we) can still set AI human and AI animal for endless possibilities.  Really the more I think about a game with these kind of features puts hope back into games, hopefully this game turns out well so other developers can see the light! 

haha...oh yeah, I can just see activision rushing to put a map editor into the next CoD game...because they totally value customer satisfaction over squeezing an extra $60 out of everyone for their official map DLC's each year...yeah! :P

[quote user="TG ZoBo"]

haha...that's pretty crazy, I was just thinking about trying to make a minecraft-style map in the FC3 map editor :P ...I think it'd be kinda possible!...I know you can use a square brush, just use a small one and use the "set height" function, bam, you've got yourself (more or less) a minecraft block! - now repeat a few thousand times, and there ya go! :P ....just add appropriate terrain paint for the finishing touch......I'm so gonna try that!

[/quote]Yeah I think it'll be possible!

[quote user="Yo Def"]

I am just happy they kept this feature.  Not to give them ideas but I'd imagine they would sell the Map Editor as DLC, specially in this day and age of DLC.  But then again, this is a huge aspect that Far Cry is known for so if they didn't include it, it would have killed sales.  

Watching some of the editor videos, I will have so much fun just designing a map and even if the public never joins, I (we) can still set AI human and AI animal for endless possibilities.  Really the more I think about a game with these kind of features puts hope back into games, hopefully this game turns out well so other developers can see the light! 

[/quote]Yeah, if they made it DLC it would ruin it for alot of people, but I'm very curious to what DLC they might add to map editor, because its already amazing enough as it is but if they add more, oh man!

The map editor was already terrific in FC2 but FC3's looks like they've optimized it, polished it up and added some new features. One thing they added was the ability to place waterfalls. I remember back when FC2 was launched people were asking about being able to create waterfalls and it appears they listened.

I'm assuming the AI ya'll are talking about are what are typically referred to as "bots"? If so, NICE! I wonder if, in a private match, you can choose how many bots you want as a means of filling in for human competitors if you've only got a few folks in your server? If you can, I wonder if the host can select the number of bots (or eliminate them all together) on the fly? In other words, say a couple of buddies and I are playing and we have bots filling in. If we have more friends join us, can the host reduce the bots at that point?

no bots in multiplayer mate.....you can only use bots (friendly&enemy soldiers, animals) within the map editor, like, in test map mode...same with vehicles.....if you try and publish the map for multiplayer play, it'll tell you to get rid of 'em

Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback.  :-)

Sounds awesome.