Fallout: New Vegas - Very Hard Difficulty Play Through

I'll be purchasing Fallout: New Vegas for the third time this year at Gamestop today (Discs kept scratching from use.). I feel compelled to play it on the hardest difficulty possible, any tips on avoiding the possibility of a VERY premature death?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hardcore mode or Very Hard?

I say you do Hardcore, Normal but DID(Dead is Dead).   That's a challenge and really changes how you play.  Sucks when you do die though, lol.

@Mysterious Rage - Both.

@Payton Jones - Thanks for the advice!

I would definitely recommended going the energy weapon route over the gun route. For me at least, energy weapons have been tons easier to use. You might have to spends some caps on ammo at the start of the game, but you will be stronger faster than if you used guns. In my experience, guns takes longer to get decent damage tables.

Yeah I noticed that too. Not too mention how much easy it is to get Energy Weapon ammo. You can also replenish drained Energy Weapon ammo easily.

My main tip is get a home as quickly as possible. Taking the normal route the games wants you to, Novac is the closest, but the 38 works well too. Having a place too sleep and store weapons/ food/ junk is a major plus. And on Hardcore, never skip up when you see food or drinks laying around. Be very cautious when fighting too, take cover and wisely choose your VATS instead just going for the head. It also helps to have companions, but be careful who and where you take them on Hardcore mode.

I gave up on replaceing discs if i can download a game for a reasonable price. For exsample, for $20 on games on demand I dwnloaded New vegas. I hate how easily a disc scratches if u accidently drop or how easily it seems to wear out just from use. I just wish Blue Dragon & Culdcept Saga were downloadable.

I second a hardcore, "dead is dead" playthrough. I started one and it was rewarding because I actually had to plan my moves instead of just wildly running around and having the escape route of pausing combat to heal. Too bad I died in Nipton, and at that point I was tiring of the game after three consecutive playthroughs. I may just pick it up again.

As for Very Hard tips -

- I would increase your Luck stat as much as you can. Having that extra critical chance in combat is a real plus, especially at early levels.
- Pick up everything you can food/drink-wise, you'll need it.
- Pick a combat style early on and sell every weapon and ammo type you know you won't use. I think melee is a must, as it allows you to conserve ammo as well as not pack on extra weight. (Plus Oh Baby! and Knock Knock are awesome weapons) So my suggestion would be melee and guns or energy weapons.
- Avoid Deathclaws at all costs

Good luck!

[quote user="StrictlyDigital"]Avoid Deathclaws Cazadores at all costs
[/quote]lol. I'd take a pack of Deathclaws over a Swarm of Cazadores any day. You don't need to use V.A.T.S. to kill deathclaws. Cazadores, on the oher hand, Jesus, it's even hard to hit them when you're not engaged!

Anyways, if you do go the energy weapons route, I suggest trything to get the unique gauss rifle as fast as you can. I think it's called the YZ-somethin' somethin'. Its by the Horowitz Farmstead I think in the top left corner of the map.

Thank you all for the feedback! I've already begun my very hard H.C. play through, and my level 9 character is already hitting the grinder..(I'm not saying your advice sucks).

[quote user="IsaacClarkeSNL"]

[quote user="StrictlyDigital"]Avoid Deathclaws Cazadores at all costs
[/quote]lol. I'd take a pack of Deathclaws over a Swarm of Cazadores any day. You don't need to use V.A.T.S. to kill deathclaws. Cazadores, on the oher hand, Jesus, it's even hard to hit them when you're not engaged!

[/quote]

Not to mention if you don"t have any anti venom they can easily kill you even after they're dead.