Fallout 1 and 2 players

I love New Vegas and I played and loved Fallout 1 and 2 when they were released years ago. I think Fallout 3 was a great game, but a bad Fallout sequel. New Vegas made me feel the same like when I first played 1 and 2 and haven't touched FO3 since. Don't really understand all that glitch talk either 'cause have you played other games like for example Crysis 2? I saw more glitches in it on one playthrough than in FNV in 40 hours. I won't mind a few bugs if there's endless amounts of stuff to do. So have others played FO 1 and/or 2 before or after FNV?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Bugs in any game is really unacceptable, but New Vegas has a lot of them. I blame the game engine they were using. I've never played Crysis 2.

Fallout 1 & 2 were made by a company called Black Isle. Interplay owned Black Isle and closed the studio. (Booo!)

Bethesda picked up the rights to the Fallout franchise and made Fallout 3.

New Vegas was developed by Obsidian (published with rights by Bethesda) and Obsidian have a lot of ex-Black Isle employees. It feels more like the originals because it was made by the same people.

To me the fact that there may be other games with a higher glitch rate doesn't make it OK for NV to be as glitchy as it is.  I'm not trying to say that your opinion is invalid, just that my take on the issue is different.  

I am glad that they spent the time to get a lot of the most frequent glitches fixed, but there are still plenty of potentially game-breaking glitches out there, mostly associated with quests.  The one that most immediately springs to mind is that once the Boomers idolize you the NCR Ambassador may disappear (not always, there is probably some other condition that also contributes to this glitch), making it impossible to start the NCR quest line.

[quote user="StormShadowM"]. Don't really understand all that glitch talk either 'cause have you played other games like for example Crysis 2? I saw more glitches in it on one playthrough than in FNV in 40 hours. I won't mind a few bugs if there's endless amounts of stuff to do. So have others played FO 1 and/or 2 before or after FNV?

[/quote]Obsidian ridiculous hate. I also played games that had worst glitches but gamers can deal with it  as long as the game dev isn't Obsidian.

[quote user="Even"]

Fallout 1 & 2 were made by a company called Black Isle. Interplay owned Black Isle and closed the studio. (Booo!)

[/quote]

Actually Interplay made Fallout and because of it's success established Black Isle to make more RPG's and Black Isle made the award winning Baldur's Gate games (anyone played those btw.?) using Bioware's engine and the game many hardcore RPG fans (me included) think is or was the best roleplaying game ever: Planescape: Torment. Without Interplay being brave and taking a chance when releasing Fallout then computer roleplaying would have stayed dead like it was then, so people shouldn't go hating on them just because some court stuff with Bethesda.

If Obsidian could have gotten bigger budget and more time to make FNV and use another engine then there wouldn't be so many bugs and glitches.

Anyway, I'm not trying to troll, just replied to previous posts and what I actually wanted to know was if there's FO 1 and/or 2 players here too and their opinion of FNV. Won't reply to comments regarding glitches again 'cause this thread ain't the place for that.

[quote user="STORMSHADOWM"]

Actually Interplay made Fallout and because of it's success established Black Isle ... Without Interplay being brave and taking a chance when releasing Fallout

[/quote]

I think you're remembering that wrong. Interplay created Black Isle to make RPGs, and Black Isle is the one that developed Fallout 1 & 2. (With the awesome Planescape: Torment as you said) But Interplay was just the parent company. Also, Black Isle/Interplay only published Baldur's Gate, but it was Bioware that actually created it.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Isle_Studios

I hate Interplay because they got into a fight with Black Isle. Interplay wanted a bigger hand in how Black Isle should be run, but in the end Interplay just fired everyone from Black Isle and closed the studio. Sounds a lot like the feud between Activision and Infinity Ward today.

Yup, you're right. I remembered that wrong. Baldur's Gate was a Bioware game. But like you said, Interplay was the parent company and Black Isle Studios just a division and after other legal disputes both had to push back and cancel future titles and financial troubles forced Interplay to shut down BIS. Made they should have sold it though. Wikipedia doesn't have all the info, but those references help.

Well I think it's just better to play the games and forget all that legal crap that's ruining the whole industry these days.

Game Industry won't get better... it will only sink on it's own hole... Good Old Times with Fallout 1...

You're right about that.  As long as customers continue being willing to buy games full of glitches, bugs, and other assorted problems there is no real incentive for the industry to invest in polishing games before release.  Today's gamers are apparently satisfied with the "Fix it after release" model of game development.  Since it is cheaper for them to fix problems after we find them than it is to find the issues themselves, we can look forward to many years of buggy games, no matter who has done the development.

[quote user="phyrian"]

The one that most immediately springs to mind is that once the Boomers idolize you the NCR Ambassador may disappear (not always, there is probably some other condition that also contributes to this glitch), making it impossible to start the NCR quest line.

[/quote]That happened to me. I just said oh well and went with House. A glitch caused the NCR to suffer lol.

[quote user="phyrian"]

You're right about that.  As long as customers continue being willing to buy games full of glitches, bugs, and other assorted problems there is no real incentive for the industry to invest in polishing games before release.  Today's gamers are apparently satisfied with the "Fix it after release" model of game development.  Since it is cheaper for them to fix problems after we find them than it is to find the issues themselves, we can look forward to many years of buggy games, no matter who has done the development.

[/quote]Gah, I just hope Skyrim doesn't suffer that fate.