External HDD Help.

Hey team. Would love to be able to stream media from my USB external HDD through my 360, but it is not showing up in the choose source section?

Is there anything I need to do configuration wise to sort this out or can it just not be done?

Cheers, K-money

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Are you connecting the drive directly to one of the 360's USB ports?

-

If that is the case then the drive will need to be formatted as FAT32 or HFS+ (file system used on Macs.

If you are trying to steam media from your PC, make sure the drive is shared in whatever application you are using to stream.

Yeah you have to format it and it will only allow an external drive partition of 16GB.

[quote user="Smiling Cat"]

Yeah you have to format it and it will only allow an external drive partition of 16GB.

[/quote]You misunderstand the question.

The OP is not wanting to use the drive as 360 storage but rather to play media such as music and movies from it.

In that case you can pretty much use any size hard drive you want as long as it is formatted in a system the 360 understands, FAT32 or HFS+. For connecting directly to the 360 HFS+ is the better option as it allows files over 4gb in size, where FAT32 does not.

It doesn't really matter that the hard drive is formatted as if streaming via a PC. 

Cheers DC, I'll give that a test run and let you know how i go.