External HDD for media issues

I have a 1tb Western Digital drive, it appears on my PC perfectly and has a bunch of images, music and videos on it.

Plugging it into my Xbox immediately pops up the "External media storage ready" message. So it's detected. But checking the media player app simply says no devices are found.

I've tried all the usual steps, including disabling the 'when Xbox is off, turn off storage' option. But it didn't help. Rebooted a million times, tried all 3 USB ports on the console, tried new cables, different files. Formatted the drive. Nothing works.

I have a USB stick which works perfectly, why won't this drive?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Hey there, Mr XBob!

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the WD external drive being recognized properly. It seems like you might need to change the file system of the HDD in order to be able to get it detected from your Xbox. ( Here's a link that explains the compatibility of our drives with gaming consoles: products.wdc.com/.../kb.ashx )

The first thing you should do is back up the data from the external somewhere else, because changing the file system will require a reformatting of the drive which will erase everything stored on it.

Afterwards, you can use your PC's Disk Management to change the file system to FAT32. Here is a tutorial that might help you with the procedure: products.wdc.com/.../kb.ashx

However, since you are storing a lot of media files on the external, I'd recommend you to take a look at the limitations that come with the FAT32 format as well: products.wdc.com/.../kb.ashx

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! :)

SuperSoph_WD

Click for a helpful post. And be sure to mark the 'Answer' that works. This may help someone else :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi thanks for the reply, so FAT32 is the only way to use WD drives with consoles? That's really disappointing, as I currently use the drive as a backup for my PC and it's full of files that would take a very long time to backup again after formatting.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi again, Mr XBob! :) 

What is your Xbox model? If it's Xbox One, you should be able to read the NTFS-formatted external drive. However, an Xbox 360 console would require a FAT32 format.

SuperSoph_WD   

Click for a helpful post. And be sure to mark the 'Answer' that works. This may help someone else :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes sorry I should have been clearer, it's the Xbox One not Xbox 360 :)

Sorry this didn't help.