Error - Games on WP7 - "Cannot Find Server"

• I was told that I could use both a WP7 and WP8 device without an issue.
  • Based on this, I purchased a WP7 so that I could get some games that are not available for my WP8.
  • When I try to access the games that I want to purchase via the Windows Phone Marketplace / Store via the IE app I get the following message:

[quote]We can't display this page right now.

Error: Cannot find server or DNS error[/quote]

• Other web pages and sites work just fine.
  • When I try to access the games that I want to purchase via the Games tile, all I see is "no results" on the main screen
  • When I search from the Games tile / app, I get "We couldn't find a match. Try again later."
  • I've tried using my Win8 laptop, but it does not let me purchase the items. In fact, it doesn't even show me an option to buy or try the games.
  • What can I do to purchase games on my WP7 device?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:
Answer

OK, that's weird.

On my WP7 I have no issues with this, and for those two games I can see the store listings and get the options to both try and buy. I know of no reason why you would not...

Like yours, that phone currently has no sim card and is running purely on WiFi. And even then, I didn't think this would make a difference.

Hm... actually, something just occurred to me. Have you updated the device through Zune? If you do not have at least WP7.5 (7.8 is the latest) then I think I remember (and this is now two years ago) that the Store would no longer work. Confusingly enough, in Settings/About the version numbers should be 7.10.XXXX.XXX (for the update called 7.5). And if you are at a lower version number, your phone will take a long time to update. It will have to do every single update to catch up all the way to 7.8. But if this is the case, you should be able to start downloading apps after this is complete.

Xbox Forums moderator. Xbox MVP. r/xboxinsiders moderator. Twitter: @13mxn

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

I think we may just have zeroed in on the problem.

You need to download the Zune desktop application (NOT the same one as you use for WP8) and connect the phone via USB. Once connected, unlock the phone (swipe up lock screen, enter passkey if applicable). Then in the bottom left click the little phone icon and on the next screen you should see a button to update. If not, from that screen click Settings in the top right and on the left select Update.

Let it do its thing. I reckon you probably have quite a few updates to get through and that can take some considerable time. It will do the complete update process for one update before checking again for new updates, then it will start again with the next one.

Note: I do not exactly remember whether each time it detects a new update that you need to click to accept, so maybe watch the first update complete fully before you leave it alone for ages expecting it to complete.

This link should let you download and install the Zune software:

www.windowsphone.com/.../zune-software

Xbox Forums moderator. Xbox MVP. r/xboxinsiders moderator. Twitter: @13mxn

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.