Early reviews out....

I'm one of those gamers that prefers to read reviews by the games community rather than publisher reviews, but since none of us have our hands on the final product I'm forced to read what's out and so far all the talking heads reviews are 4/5 or 9/10. That's a very good start. Can't wait to see what the community thinks.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

I watched the IGN video review and for the most part it was perfect, but beyond what the reviewer said about the game it looked incredible....I cant wait...have I mentioned that yet?

[quote user="shakesth3clown1"]

I watched the IGN video review and for the most part it was perfect, but beyond what the reviewer said about the game it looked incredible....I cant wait...have I mentioned that yet?

[/quote]

You have now. "Polished" is a word I keep seeing.

I was a little sadened to hear that most reviewers say the story isnt as good as they hoped and very predictable, not to mention they buffed your AI squadmates so much so that on normal in the first act you never even need to fire a shot to clear the level (except on the boss ofc), your squad will pretty much pawn everything for you, so for anyone going solo for your first run through i've been told to start off on Heroic mode if you dont want to get boosted by your AI squadmates :P

Story is great so far for me, but I've only completed act 1 on co-op.

[quote user="Block8"]

Story is great so far for me, but I've only completed act 1 on co-op.

[/quote]

***!!!! LOL! Glad to see you're enjoying it.

[quote user="HatefulFallen"]

I was a little sadened to hear that most reviewers say the story isnt as good as they hoped and very predictable, not to mention they buffed your AI squadmates so much so that on normal in the first act you never even need to fire a shot to clear the level (except on the boss ofc), your squad will pretty much pawn everything for you, so for anyone going solo for your first run through i've been told to start off on Heroic mode if you dont want to get boosted by your AI squadmates :P

[/quote]

#1 Heroic Mode? You are killing me!

#2 Hardcore Mode first and then Insane Mode, no other modes count.

#3 When has Gears ever been about the story? It is all about the action!

[quote user="HatefulFallen"]

[/quote]

I think you mean "Harcore" not "Heroic" - and most at Epic have said that if you want the true Gears experience, and if you've played the other games, you should start on Hardcore.  They made the other 2 difficulties a little easier.

I wouldn't put too much credence into the reviews of the story.  I've heard some reviews on both sides of that coin - and I think some of these guys cannot separate this game from the others - and will latch on to the "bro" mentality.  From what I've seen - this story should be much better just from having Karen Traviss involved.  She's a very good writer and storyteller - and I'm anxious to see what she's done for this finale.

Guilty as charged. I think I might be the only person that enjoys the campaign and story over MPand I am so looking forward to finishing off this trilogy(in a good way). I don't know what it is but I even liked the Bullet Storm campaign and story more than the MP. Admittedly, I never really got the hang of the previous Gears MP, but I never wanted to either. Something about them was just off to me and the desire was never there to get better. This is one of the very few shooters with a steep learning curve imo. After playing the beta for 3, I will be making more of an effort to learn HOW to play the new MP because I had a blast playing it in the limited time I had with it. And I can't say that about the previous 2 games.