EA vs. ....

Im just wondering if any of the other sports games, IE. NHL2k_ ect. are as good as the EA NHL series, I mean in gameplay and online capabilities. It kinda sucks how I have NHL 09 and I can no longer download rosters or play online because its an EA game.

So do games like the NHL2k series pull the plug on their online as well? and are they as good?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Not even close. The NHL2K games were so bad that 2K quit making them all together a few years ago. They just couldn't figure out how to compete and make a decent game.

I had to get ncaa 2k8 basketball mailed from texas because it was the closest place to where I live who had it.  Then realized that the servers are completely down going on 2 weeks...I would have never spent my $5.00 for the game if I knew that..  : /

I can't tell if you're being serious or not Bunionz... if you aren't... kudos, good usage of sarcasm.  =P

I upsets me that EA has Football (American) on lock. The 2K ones actually made EA work on their football games back then, now they can literally copy and paste and update rosters and still make millions...

[quote user="xEnvoy of Chaos"]

I upsets me that EA has Football (American) on lock. The 2K ones actually made EA work on their football games back then, now they can literally copy and paste and update rosters and still make millions...

[/quote]
Next year is the last year of EA's exclusive contract with the NFL. It will be interesting to see what will happen when that contract is up.

I think the only sports title were the 2K version is better than EA's version is in basketball. The NBA 2K series completely destroys the NBA Live series in terms of quality and sales.  

[quote user="TheMightyAndrew"]

[quote user="xEnvoy of Chaos"]

[/quote]
Next year is the last year of EA's exclusive contract with the NFL. It will be interesting to see what will happen when that contract is up.

I think the only sports title were the 2K version is better than EA's version is in basketball. The NBA 2K series completely destroys the NBA Live series in terms of quality and sales.  

[/quote]

The NFL will renew their contract with EA.

NFL 2K5 was a pretty awesome game with plenty of interesting features, but despite what many think, it just was not better than Madden that year. The biggest reason why so many THOUGHT it was better was because it launched at $20 compared to Maddens $50. This is coming from someone who loved the game too. It just wasn't as good as Madden. It was pretty much confirmed when 2K tried to do football again with All-Pro Football. The game was terrible and it WAS ESPN NFL 2K5, just minus the NFL licensing(and if you need the licensing to be good, then it isn't a good game)

Sports games are pretty much EA's monopoly.

If its baseball you want, there are a few alternatives. Namely, MLB2KX is availble (2k9 was a fun arcadey title) and The Show (a PS3 exclusive and very simmy).

2k also does basketball, but EA is pretty much your only chioce for football (unless you count the Backbreaker game from 2010).

@ xEnvoy of Chaos - That annoys me a bit too seeing pretty much a copy and paste with a few "new" features, so I tend to skip a year on these types of titles and buy one every 2 years. Same applies with NBA titles.

@ TheMightyAndrew - I agree about NBA 2K being better than NBA Live. Live hasn't been good since... well I can't remember and then once I played the 2K version there was really no looking back. I have tried some Live titles by renting them in the hopes something might change (yeah right), but have never even considered it since 09 and probably never will.

[quote user="Mafivee"]

@ xEnvoy of Chaos - That annoys me a bit too seeing pretty much a copy and paste with a few "new" features, so I tend to skip a year on these types of titles and buy one every 2 years. Same applies with NBA titles.

@ TheMightyAndrew - I agree about NBA 2K being better than NBA Live. Live hasn't been good since... well I can't remember and then once I played the 2K version there was really no looking back. I have tried some Live titles by renting them in the hopes something might change (yeah right), but have never even considered it since 09 and probably never will.

[/quote]
I remember when I got the 360 at launch. I bought NBA Live 06 with it as one of my launch titles. I played it for about 5 minutes, immediately took it out of my 360, drove to Gamestop and traded it in for NBA 2K6. Just like you, I never looked back. 

I really enjoy NBA Live 08 tbh.

But yea i downloaded the Demo for NHL2K9..... garbage.