EA vs XBox LIVE

I was going to buy Gatling Gears for my child on the marketplace, but before I did I called EA about the online feature. In the past there had been an issue with a game being rated higher than he was allowed to play even though I set the system to allow it. So my child is 10, going on 11, and he is not allowed to play a E10+ game on Xbox LIVE even though he is old enough, because EA does not allow anyone play games online below the age of 13. Then the rep stated to me, that in order for my child to be able to play EA games online after they turned 13, I'd have to create a new LIVE account for them, because LIVE keeps the age at which they originally signed up at. I know this is false, but it is what I was told.

I think the LIVE community as a whole should be made aware that EA does not let anyone under the age of 13 play online, even if the parent has set the system to allow it, or the game is even rated for the age range, IE Gatling Gears, so that parents are not wasting Microsoft points on games they cannot play online with their kids.

I really think Microsoft needs to come to a better agreement or tell the community this is EA's rule, and that they are the only company like this, so that people are not out hard earned money. I don't think a company should be able to override a parental control that you we have set, or for a matter of fact, the ESRB games rating system, otherwise what is the point to having either if they can make up their own rules. The games they put out should all have to have a disclosure in their description telling kids and parents that they cannot play until they are 13.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Nearly all games are rated for their offline content such as single player ect.

They are not rated for online because experience can vary as you can imagine. And EA's policy (due to international laws) is that you have to be 13 or above in order to play online. I'm sure it says in the terms and conditions on EA games.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you were to view this page what would you think? Could they play or could they not? There is no explanation on the page.

marketplace.xbox.com/.../66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b32

Sorry this didn't help.

I cannot find it here either.

www.ea.com/gatling-gears

Sorry this didn't help.

I also just booted up the game. No where in the game does it state that you have to be 13 in order to play online.

Sorry this didn't help.