EA Reshuffles, Turns BioWare Into A Full EA Label

So I found This ...

There have been a few changes at EA in the last twenty four hours. Former EA Games head honcho Frank Gibeau will now take up a new position as head of EA Labels, and Peter Moore, who previously headed up the EA Sports label, has been promoted to COO, a position that's been vacant since John Schappert jumped ship to Zynga earlier this year.

On top of that, EA Labels themselves have seen a new addition to the ranks. Canadian developer BioWare has been fully absorbed into EA's fold, given a label status that brings the collective group to a nice, round four: EA Games, EA Sports, EA Play and BioWare.

CEO John Riccitiello posted a brief entry up on the EA's news stream entitled 'Changing and Growing', acknowledging the new changes and waxing lyrical over the strength in depth he feels EA is now showing:

First, I think it’s a great reflection on EA that we are able to tap so much world-class leadership from within our own ranks.  The depth of talent and leadership in this company is inspiring.

Second, as I look across EA and back on its history, I come to an important realization.  The people who succeed here are the ones who map their creative vision over a deep understanding of what our consumers want.  Our Label structure reflects that strategy.  It creates a close partnership between developers and product marketers that connects the creative process to our consumers. - John Riccitiello, Electronic Arts' CEO

I found it over here

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

So EA completely own BioWare now then? At least they didn't change them to EA BioWare or something.

EA has owned Bioware since 2007.  They were just allowed to keep their own branding.

Well I can see Mass Effect 3 being my last game from Bioware. The quality of their RPGs has dropped in my opinion since EA took over.

I think that's it isn't it now bioware will disappear like the other companies ea have eaten up...

Other than DAO (which I believe was already in development prior), Bioware's titles have been pretty crappy since EA took over, so in a way, this is no loss. It's just sad that EA took over to begin with, because Bioware was one of the best developers out there. Hell, they were responsible for my favorite game of all-time... The original KotOR. EA has said their goal is to become the only third party developer. I hope this never comes to pass, because they cheapen everything they touch.

I don't think I like the sound of that. Like previously said, ME3 might be my last Bioware game as well.

[quote user="HybridSX182"]

I don't think I like the sound of that. Like previously said, ME3 might be my last Bioware game as well.

[/quote]

I'd only buy ME3 to complete the set. I don't know if I'll even do that. I thought ME2 was a piece of dumbed-down crap, as was DA2. Like I said, this is sad in a way, but on the other hand, Bioware has gone drastically down hill over the past few years anyway.

Ahh ea .. The place to be .. If you want to destroy your companies street cred!

Bioware used to be my hands down favorite developer. It pains my heart to see the drastic decrease in the level of quality their games have suffered over the past few years. Although, maybe this full label deal means that EA is going to start throwing more money at them so they can regain their former glory. Here's hoping, I'm not holding my breath, though. <sigh> Why couldn't have Bioware have been bought by Bethesda?

[quote user="Sword StyIe"]

Bioware used to be my hands down favorite developer. It pains my heart to see the drastic decrease in the level of quality their games have suffered over the past few years. Although, maybe this full label deal means that EA is going to start throwing more money at them so they can regain their former glory. Here's hoping, I'm not holding my breath, though. <sigh> Why couldn't have Bioware have been bought by Bethesda?

[/quote]

While that would be nice, my honest prediction is that it will continue to get worse. I guess it will come down to a couple of things... First, is Bioware's recent crop o' crap really because of EA, or is this simply the direction Bioware is taking? Believe me, I have no love for EA, but are they really micro-managing what Bioware does with their titles? It's also going to depend on whether we consumers keep purchasing dumbed-down products. My guess there is a huge YES. Most of the games that do well & receive accolades are in all actuality, pretty bad or downgraded sequels. Look at something like Fable II. It was a giant step down from the original, yet earned game of the year and did extremely well at the checkout counter. As a result, Fable III was even further dumbed-down. While we have yet to get ahold of part 3, Mass Effect is on the same path, as is Dragon Age. I originally purchased my 360 on the hope that I would one day see KotOR III as an exclusive. But after KotOR II (which I thought was a fluke due to Bioware handing production over to Obsidian) and Bioware'srecent efforts, I hope I never see KotOR III... At least not with a Bioware (or EA) logo on the cover.