EA renting BF3 servers?!

Apparently this is just for the PS3 at the moment, but renting private servers for games? I'm not sure what to think about that...

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/27/you-can-now-rent-your-own-battlefield-3-server-on-ps3.aspx

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 15 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm starting to really hate dedicated servers now. Online pass nonsense, server shutdowns that destroy online play, and now charging gamers for server time for private games. Ugh. The whole thing leaves a foul taste in my mouth...

Cash grab? I would expect nothing less from EA.

This is a joke. I shouldn't have to pay to host a private match with my friends. I can understand needing X amount of players to be able t start one, but not paying for it.

not like they make enough money lol

Well the online for BF3 runs completely on dedicated servers. They probably don't have enough of them available so that everyone can be able to play private matches on them and they cost money to keep running. Gears of War 3 has dedicated servers for rank matches and p2p for private. I don't see why they couldn't do that for BF3.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's not that much different than your options on PC right now. Not to mention buying a server also gets you admin powers meaning you can kick / ban.

This thread is so dumb. OP, this  is not just some gametype option where you just pick a map and play with a couple of friends offline. This is a PRIVATE SERVER!

This is nothing new to the gaming industry as the PC has been this since the beginning of competitive online play. This is the fist time EVER that consoles are going to to get the same options the PC has when it comes to server customization.

Wake up and stop trying to make grudges about everything, especially things you don't understand or probably cannot comprehend.

[quote user="Bon3zz1001"]

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's not that much different than your options on PC right now. Not to mention buying a server also gets you admin powers meaning you can kick / ban.

[/quote]

I go along with this as well. On PC any clan that doesn't have their own dedicated server is doing it wrong, everyone chips in a couple of bucks to spread the cost, you do what you like and everyone has a good time. 

[quote user="VernierSlake"]

[quote user="Bon3zz1001"]

[/quote]

I go along with this as well. On PC any clan that doesn't have their own dedicated server is doing it wrong, everyone chips in a couple of bucks to spread the cost, you do what you like and everyone has a good time. 

[/quote]Yeah man, that's exactly right. Plus, EA/Dice is still handing over 100+ servers, set up with default settings. This feature is strictly for people who want alittle more and are willing to pay for it.

Im not sure what to think about this to be honest...