EA claims Call of Duty will die in 2-3 years

[quote]EA has taken some flak for its comments on Call of Duty, particularly those from EA CEO John Riccitiello who told IndustryGamers that he wants to see Activision's top shooter franchise "rot from the core." During Gamescom, Activision Publishing boss Eric Hirshberg finally took some time to address these comments and noted that EA's verbal attacks are "bad for the industry." That's clearly not stopping EA though.

While Hirshberg believes that it's ok for both Battlefield and Call of Duty to succeed, EA looks at the market in a different light. It's a competitive field and there are only so many entertainment dollars for consumers to spend. 

IndustryGamers heard from EA corporate communications man Jeff Brown, who is really taking it to Hirshberg. He said, "Welcome to the big leagues Eric -- I know you're new in the job but someone should have told you this is an competitive industry. 

"You've got every reason to be nervous.  Last year Activision had a 90 share in the shooter category.  This year, Battlefield 3 is going to take you down to 60 or 70.  At that rate, you’ll be out of the category in 2-3 years.  If you don't believe me, go to the store and try to buy a copy of Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk."[/quote]Source

So, what does everyone think? Will Activision's almighty shooter die as claimed, or is Jeff Brown a very stubborn and amateur psychic?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Given that sales seem to increase for the Call of Duty franchise with each new release, I can't see it dying in that amount of time.

I don't think it's going to die anytime soon, but it wouldn't bother me if it did.

It will happen sooner or later. Then some other franchise will step up and take its crown for the next few years until something bigger and better pops up. Nothing new there really.

2-3 years? really will it take that long?

Personally i dont think stuff like this is bad for the industry, plus its funny Activision trying to play the victim when they have been doing some mud slinging of there own!

Its funny EA is making a big deal of it, its going to happen sooner or later... and with COD nowadays being copy-and-paste sequels, I'd be happy if it was sooner.

Of course, I doubt it will be 100% dead that soon, especially with how many units being pushed each year.

WOW this isnt child-like in the least, you know what this comes down to ? My game can beat up yours, pathetic really.

I am already growing tired of it to be honest but we don't know what will happen in the coming years things could get better.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

[quote user="THEOWENKILLER"]

2-3 years? really will it take that long?

[/quote]This.  Why do we have to wait THAT LONG?  Why can't it just die now?  The online community for this is a complete joke anyway.

the battlefield series will become complete crap if the cod franchise bites the dust.