EA cans Dead Space series following poor sales of DS3

As usual, nothing is official as of now and so on. You know the drill.

-

[quote]

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a source familiar with the unannounced project told VideoGamer.com that Dead Space 4 had been in pre-production at Visceral Games, with a small team at Visceral Montreal allegedly tasked with developing prototypes and mock-ups for the title, and collaborating on ideas for the game's narrative.

However, the project was cancelled after Dead Space 3 failed to meet its sales targets, our source claims, telling us that EA executives visited Visceral Montreal last month to inform staff that the project had been terminated and announce details of the company's restructuring.

Visceral Montreal is rumoured to have closed following the restructuring.

[/quote]

LINK

-

Last I heard, it sold around 900k copies which falls a bit short of what they wanted which was 5 million sold copies. Note, wanted, not needed, shareholders can be quite demanding. I'm sure people could point at dozens of reasons why it sold less at launch than DS2 but personally, I just don't think as many people were interested this time round rather than being angry at any given feature though they probably added up a small fraction of lost sales.

-

So many games these days are trying to be a jack of all trades but master of none rather than focusing on elements or settings that made them stand out from the crowd in the first place.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Haters gonna hate

Perhaps they shouldn't have waited until Feb to release it. I have known of more than a few pretty decent games fail mainly because of their release date. In feb, most people are still playing their holiday games.

[quote user="Murderstyle75"]

Perhaps they shouldn't have waited until Feb to release it. I have known of more than a few pretty decent games fail mainly because of their release date. In feb, most people are still playing their holiday games.

[/quote]

More should look at Rockstar and see how they've been releasing their titles around Spring or Summer and doing quite well from it. Used to be a point were everything came out in winter and summer was considered a drought. It's a good point to bring out titles when everyone is looking for something new to play.

Perhaps they'll learn that if they stuff their games full of Shops people are eventually going to get fed up and not buy them.

To everyone else who like me, voted with their wallet, I salute you.

Az

You didn't need to buy anything from the shops to play the game. I doubt it's canned either but well see.

If this comes out to be true, I hope the DLC campaign ties up the loose ends.

I have a blast playing DS3 online co-op with friends & will continue to do so for a long time. (all without any Microtrans)

I just wish they would add another Co-op survival mode.

That's terrible news. Praise EA!

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

They did an excellent job with DS3 despite the link in the first post.  This is just an attempt to raise hype. I guarantee this series is not dead.  We will see another Dead Space on the next generation of consoles.  

More reasons to hate EA...I thought the series was doing pretty well though?!

[quote user="Static Jak"]

So many games these days are trying to be a jack of all trades but master of none rather than focusing on elements or settings that made them stand out from the crowd in the first place.

[/quote]