E3 Impressions Thread

Yes another thread from yours truly, I promise this will be the last new one about E3.

Anyhow, now that the Mass Effect 3 EA conference showing has wrapped up, and we've seen the demo/trailer, or at least those who have been able to watch it as I had no work today lol, what is everyone's impression thus far?

Not only your thoughts on the presentation, but also gameplay and the supposed sense of scale Casey Hudson has touted regarding the areas you'll be traversing and what we saw in the demo/trailer.

Personally, the showing left a lot to be desired and wasn't as long as I figured it might be. It was much shorter than the E3 2009 Mass Effect 2 demo, so that's why I was a bit surprised.

The mounted turret sequence was really identical to any vehicle sequence you'd see in a Gears of War game, and I thought that was underwhelming to be perfectly honest. I liked the sense of scale of the environment you were progressing in, don't get me wrong, but I just feel that a mounted turrent sequence is to be blunt unoriginal.

Other than that though I was really impressed with the demo and especially the trailer.

With the release date revealed as 3-6-12, I will be looking out for that ultimate "Spectre" edition, or whatever it will be called to pre-order.

Also the new Origins site by EA was also revealed, it hosts a Special News Report trailer for Mass Effect 3 that you should check out too. As seen here, just click on the play button in the Mass Effect 3 section.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm cautiously optimistic. The combat elements and story definitely seem to be there in force, and I saw Legion (yay!).

However, I'm worried that they're going to sacrifice RPG elements to appeal more to the action audience. We didn't see anything related to the RPG elements of ME3 at their demo. Hopefully, more info will be released soon, but that's definitely my #1 concern right now.

That's always the concern I have and have had since all the Mass Effect 3 information has been pouring in over the past few months.  Cautiously optimistic is the perfect two words.

Casey Hudson is going to demo two new levels on Spike shortly, which is being hosted by Geoff Keiley(sp?) from GT.TV, so it's not the last bit of ME 3 stuff shown at E3 like I had thought.  Not sure what is going to be shown on the two new levels, but hopefully it's not just another combat demo.  I'd like to see other aspects.

well, I saw another combat demo.  But Im actually really liking the new combat movements.  Stealthy blade kills are possible, which was awesome.  Moving around between cover no longer seems to be so sluggish and clunky.  Im not the best Third person shooter player, so maybe my issues with ME2 were isolated, but I would find myself going into cover when I didnt want to by storming by a wall or something.  In ME3, it seems that you can control your characters movements easier, thus popping into opposite cover is actually doable.  Now, I want to see what this talk about richer RPG elements is all about.  If that is satisfactory, I will be cool.  As is, Im confident the game is going to be epic.  I even think the Kinect feature is kinda cool, if not a bit unnecessary.  I just hope the "richer RPG" element isnt only the fact that you can alter your weapons.  I can do that in CoD

[quote user="SleeperSyndrome"]

I'm cautiously optimistic. The combat elements and story definitely seem to be there in force, and I saw Legion (yay!).

However, I'm worried that they're going to sacrifice RPG elements to appeal more to the action audience. We didn't see anything related to the RPG elements of ME3 at their demo. Hopefully, more info will be released soon, but that's definitely my #1 concern right now.

[/quote]

thats my concern too.  I saw kick a** action sequences, but not a single RPG element.  Like I stated above, Im hoping that they actually come through with their promise of richer RPG elements and dont just consider adding scopes to your guns as the richer RPG element.  Even if the RPG elements are on par with ME2, I guess that will be cool, but I want to see a return to the feel of ME1.  I cant put my finger on exactly what it was about ME1 that appealed to me so much, but it did.  So, the vastly improved combat is a plus in my opinion.  If theres gonna be combat, which there always has been in ME, it might as well be good.  So if they can have awesome combat and RPG elements that are on par or greater than ME2 I will be pleased

I honestly don't think we are doing to see much of a rpg element in ME3. They have basically turned into a shooter in an already crowded field of shooters.

The entire time I was watching the E3 gameplay all I could think about was how much it reminded me of Halo. I'm a long time fan of Bioware rpg's all the way back to BG on the PC. I took my chances with DA2 and regretted it but they won't be getting my 60 bucks for ME3.

The Seattle/Vancouver Megacity is, in my books, an obvious nod to richer RPG elements.  From what I've read, a big chunk of the development time was devoted to making this a very realistic environment in which to roam.  We'll play in it before and after it's attacked.  We'll be able to go to the same places and remember what it looked like earlier in the game.  Of all the tidbits that have surfaced in recent months, the SEA/VAN megacity is the one I'm most excited about, well maybe not, forgot about Jack's return, but this will be one to please the RPG crowd, you'll see...:-)

I don't know Randver.  On one hand I agree with you, but on the other I disagree.

Knowing how Mass Effect 2's pre-release information extravaganze went where you could literally see everything the game had to offer before it even released, I'll still hold out on making a judgment on Mass Effect 3 based off of one or a couple showing's at a high press event like E3 where action no doubt takes the center stage, especially combat action to gain that steam heading into release day.

We're still 8 months away from release, and during that time I have no doubts that more Mass Effect 3 information will come to fruition, again based off of past history in BioWare handing out information left and right about everything you could imagine.

So if that includes the yet to be pin-pointed RPG aspects that Hudson, the two Dr.'s, and the development staff have said is going to be fuller and richer than Mass Effect 2's, then again I will reserve judgment at this point until I know more. Otherwise I will just look like an ignorant person who has a closed mind when we really don't know all that much yet.

For me character building and development is an important aspect of a rpg. When you take away stats and skills it ceases to be a rpg anymore.

If you remember the complaints from the shooter crowd in the ME1 forums when it was released, they didn't understand why they weren't hitting what they were aiming at. The entire skill point allocation impacting your weapon profiency was new to them and most of them disliked it.

The problem is you can't have it both ways. You either do it the ME1 "dice roll" based on point allocation or the ME2 hit/miss based on player skill. I still play turned based rpg's on the PC so I'm probably in the minority but I still hate to see a gaming genre disappear and what's passing as rpg's lately in my opinion aren't.

Oh don't worry I share the same sentiment as you and would've hoped Mass Effect 3 would follow suit in ME 1's system and would've hoped it'd be similar to ME 1 overall as opposed to ME 2's system, as that's what I prefer and what I would ultimately choose if I had to choose one over the other.

But again I'm not going to judge ME 3 just yet until I actually know more than a brief combat demo.

What's been said about the "rpg aspects" for ME 3 has been slim to none basically, that's for sure, but that doesn't mean they are not there as we're well away from release and plenty of info can still be put forth.

So we'll see.

Like Sleeper Syndrome had said, I'm cautiously optimistic as well. Do I expect ME 3's "rpg" system to be similar to ME 1? Not really as I fully believe it's going to be just like ME 2's except expanded upon.  But I do hope more emphasis is put onto relevance to customization not only to Shepard himself in his "skill tree" but also in accordance to weapons and how they function in combat, like how ME 1 worked like you said that depended on stats to know how weak/accurate/powerful/inaccurate you were.  Because in ME 2, how well your weapons perform solely relied on the player itself, and not skill dependencies from leveling up.