Dying

This game is dying for me. I have good stable internet 10meg. I have opened my ports and I still get so much lag that its unplayable. If I get made host I am a magnet for bullets. Even when I come up behind people and fill them in, they just turn round and its a one shot kill on my screen. The updates were supposed to fix these problems but its even worse now. Also, have our servers (British) been merged with the rest of Europe cause when this game first came out I never saw anyone else from Europe except Brits. Now there are French and Germans everywhere. No offence but these guys are like, impossible to kill for me. One final thing, QSers ruin this game. Most of the time they dont even look through their scope and are no where near on target. Fix this please cause I dont want to give up on it just yet.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Deal with what you have, If you're being crippled by lag then just up your game and overcome it.

Another thing to keep in mind is the bandwidth of your conneciton isnt changing your speed.  50/30 isnt any different from 10/3 when it comes to online gaming (unless your the host then then upload can affect everyone).  The bandwidth just changes the amount of data you can send at a time, not how fast you can send/receive.

Ping is the speed you can talk with another host, but not always indicative of what you will get in game.  As old guy stated those ping times will be greater the further your distance from the host you are connecting to.  But also keep in mind a ping request is a small packet of data and not gaming traffic.  When you are gaming you are sending UDP packets back and forth.  UDP packets do not guarantee delivery nor correct data is being received.  So there is a chance that some of your packets arent received by the host or its received but with errors and thrown out. ISP's generally route TCP/IP traffic ahead of UDP traffic on their networks, so UDP is going to likely be just a tad slower getting to the host for that reason as well.

There are so many variables when it comes to online gaming that it's virtually impossible to ensure everyone has equal gameplay or sees the same thing at the same time.  It would be interresting to see just how this lag compensation written to take into account all the variables, but I wonder if its based solely on ping times.

[quote user="THA 1 BEHIND YA"]

^^There is no fix for lag...................................... Why should my "skill"be negated because I have a better connection?

[/quote]

Good point.

It shouldnt be ............... and my "skill" shouldnt be negated because I'm hundreds of miles from the host , and you are 6 feet from him ( you being host) ?

Thats the whole point of compensating players.

Even if you have a 50/30 connection, If you wee 1000 miles away from the host and the rest of the players who have crappy connections are within a hundred miles or so of the host , You would have a disadvantage without any compensation. Would that be ok?

Thats something people dont seem to get. No matter what your plan is with your provider, its limited by something else ............. the laws of physics.

Information can only travel so fast. The only one you can really blame for that is God.

Somebody having a 15 ms ping during a pingtest really doesnt mean squat ........ especially when that 15 ms is to a server 50 miles away and you are playing people 5000 miles away.

If you are playing someone half way around the earth, human technology and the laws of physics limits your ping to about 134 ms ........

Do the math.

Speed of light = 186000 miles per second.

That means 1 ms for every 186 miles ........... or 1 ms ping for every 93 miles.

The best ping possible:

93 miles = 1 ms

930 miles = 10 ms

9300 miles = 100 ms

Half way aroung the earth is 12500 miles.

^^There is no fix for lag. GoW3 uses dedicated servers for some of their matches/gametypes, but there is still lag in the game.I do believe that most public/quick matches are p2p. I'm glad that they finally put host migration into that game. Game should go back to host has the power and the better connection has the advantage. Why should my "skill"be negated because I have a better connection?

I don't know much about lag compensation or host advantage/disadvantage, but what I can tell you is that I do not like those WTF moments I get in CoD in roughly 1/2 of the games I play. Sometimes, I can kill 3 people in 1 life easily, but other times, I can fire at least 10 bullets from my LMG directly into an unaware, unmoving target before I can even get a hit-marker. Despite having the jump on them & shooting 1st; they can turn around, aim, & kill me with 2 bullets in the blink of an eye. It's just not fair. Whatever happened to dedicated servers? Those seem to work best in my experience & I don't understand why a company that makes as much money as Infinity Ward does can't invest in that to make their paying customers happier & even more loyal. The fine folks at Epic (Gears of War) & Dice (Battlefield) both have dedicated servers, so why doesn't IW? There's just no logic to it.

^i think you can, give it a try.

I have a high speed dongle (3 down/1 up) Is there anyway of plaing through that?

Actually, adding further to my thought on this, it may be nice if there was some sort of way to implement a minor QoS software package that will drop folks who are unable to keep a constant ping rate to the host/peers.

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

"Personally I think adding an identifier next to the host would be beneficial. Maybe not beneficial to the game itself, but to people leaving bad rep for a player".

Err.... I'll lay a bet right now that if that were to happen, the Host would get absolutely ripped up by most of the other people in most of the lobbies they'll ever Host, so it's really not beneficial to anyone.

[/quote]

Agreed. MW3 still uses that p2p system, even if the host has a speedy connection, with so many "squeakers" trying to bunk the system with running torrents, modifying their upload speeds etc. The host will get blamed for everything outside of their control.  Whenever a game gets super laggy where folks are jumping all over the screen etc. I will back out of it and find a new game. 

"Personally I think adding an identifier next to the host would be beneficial. Maybe not beneficial to the game itself, but to people leaving bad rep for a player".

Err.... I'll lay a bet right now that if that were to happen, the Host would get absolutely ripped up by most of the other people in most of the lobbies they'll ever Host, so it's really not beneficial to anyone.