DVD issues

I bought my Xbox 360S with Kinect on Christmas Eve 2012 (just one month ago) and am already experiencing problems playing DVDs.

When signed in on my profile, but NOT connected to XBOX live, and I attempt to 'control' the DVD (eg: pause, fast forward, rewind etc) using my official, I receive a very brief error message saying that the storage device has been disconnected. This message flashes up for barely a second before being replaced by one saying that some required elements are missing or corrupted and an update is required. 

When I then connect to Xbox live, no update prompts are received. I have also downloaded the latest update onto a USB, connected it to my console, switched it on and... not been given any update prompts.

NB: 

- This error does not occur when connected to Xbox Live

- The only storage device connected to my Xbox is the internal 4gig MU which cannot be accessed without taking the console apart

- Games are completely unaffected 

- The error occurs whether the Kinect sensor is connected or not

- This has only been happening for about a week or so

- To my knowledge, no physical damage has occurred to the Xbox

- To my knowledge, the Xbox has not been moved while a disc was in the drive (if that makes any difference here)

- I do not use Netflix, Lovefilm or Youtube on my Xbox, so do not know if they are also affected

- The DVDs are official retail or rental copies (ie: bought from legitimate sources, playing via the original disc)

- I am using my official Xbox 360 wireless controller (not the DVD or media remotes)

It's not really too much effort for me to either sign out/not sign in when watching a DVD or keep my console connected to the internet, when possible, however I'm worried that this may be a symptom of, or develop into a greater issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Sorry if lack of paragraphs make the original post hard to read, I assumed the line spacing that was present while typing would carry over to the post.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.