DS2 - Rat King Covenant Ambush

I have a confession to make... So I'm in the Rat King Covenant, and I really, REALLY want to unlock all the doors in the Doors of Pharros. But the problem is to do this, you need Lockstones, and lots of them! 

So what I've been doing is admittedly jerkish behavior... I wait on the catwalk above where the opponents spawn. Then as they are summoned, I drop off the catwalk, landing almost right behind them and catching them between me and the mastodon warrior guy. (That position also prevents them from going for the spawn camp / hide area in the doorway.) A couple of spells, and they are almost instantly dead, if the mastodon doesn't finish them off first. 

It's not an honorable way to fight... I should feel guilty, right? But this person is violating our sacred rat grounds! Plus I gave him a quick, merciful kill. He didn't suffer for long. (That's my rationalization, anyway.) Plus I need those darn lockstones!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

And then you run into a player like me: someone who unplugs the console leaving you with nothing. HA!

Haha! ... Well it seems my evil plan is not nearly as foolproof as I thought. It works a lot of times but some players are wise to that trick. Several times what I thought would be an easy ambush kill ends up killing me instead! But it's okay. I quit the Rat Covenant and joined the Sunbros... Gotta atone now for my evil ways!

I'm trying to figure out what the point of the Rat Covenant is.  The player who gets summoned doesn't lose anything from dying.  The person in the covenant is basically there to mob the people who get pulled in.  It's more of an annoyance than anything else.

Its just like the bell covenant you get summoned to annoy people.

Or, you get summoned in order to be annoyed...

You're only summoned if you wear the ring.

In the Bell Covenant, correct.  In the Rat Covenant, you summon people to your world by wearing the ring.  That's what I was referring to.  It seems like a covenant specifically set up to annoy with no real gain or loss.

^True that. I have been summoned twice: once I won the fight while wondering what is going on (didn't know how the covenant works) and the other time I just unplugged the console after I couldn't find the covenant member (wow, seriously, talk about lame: someone joins a covenant that makes you force other players into your world and then when someone is summoned they just hide...). Now I do those parts offline. At least with Bell Keepers my game isn't interrupted with loading screens if someone invades me and I can just run for the fog wall.

Rat covenant is pretty much the same as Forest Hunters.  There was no loss there for the invader either.

Except the forest hunters were intentionally invading.