Downloads not working? Is my HDD broken?

Ok I'm having some serious issues with my xbox at the moment.

At first it started with my films on Netflix not working properly, the sound would play, but occasionally the screen would freeze briefly.

So in an attempt to solve this problem I cleared the system cache, with no joy. 

Then I formatted the hard drive, to see if that would help at all, and now I am unable to download anything.

The downloads will start on the xbox, but pretty quickly it will tell me that it is unable to continue download.

If i keep restarting the download, sometimes I can get the full download eventually, for example a 100mb download would take about 3-6 restarts.

Now trying to re-download all of my map packs for Black Ops has become almost impossible.

I'm pretty certain this has nothing to do with my internet connection, all other devices running on my network have a perfect connection at the moment and the download speeds seem just as good as usual.

My xbox is a old style white one, I think it's the premium console or something like that, with the 60GB, factory HDD.

Connected to a Belkin N+ Wireless router, although I have it on a wired connection as I didn't want to pay the ridiculous price for the wireless connector.

Playing online seems to be fine, but streaming on apps like Netflix and Youtube is just unwatchable at the moment. I have also noticed today that the xbox has completely frozen a few times whilst on the dashboard, which I have never noticed before. 

Has anyone experienced this before and is there a fix without having to buy a new console? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

By the way, the status code I'm getting when trying to download updates, is 396B-0000-D080-0200-8007-000D

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The only suggestion I can think of is to try using a USB flash drive and removing the hard drive.  Configure the flash drive for Xbox storage and try using that.  If you are still having problems with games and streaming then the issue is either connection or your console.  If the problem has gone away, then your hard drive is faulty.

Perhaps you could try your console at a friends, see if you have the same issue there?  If you do still have problems, with and without the hard drive attached, then you will need to contact support for a repair.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just tried using an external without the standrd HDD plugged in, and it tried to download a system update, and again, was unable to download the update :/

Sorry this didn't help.

I am still experiencing this issue. I no longer think that the HDD is the problem. I tried using a friends wireless adaptor and my connection was fine, I have since replaced my ethernet cables as it seemed a cheaper alternative and I still have the same problem. Could it be that the ethernet socket on my xbox is busted?

It doesn't make much sense, online play is perfect, no issues, no disconections, but I try a simple download and it just doesn't agree. Just took me 5 attempts to download the latest update for MW3 (Not the map pack, just the 4mb update)

Sorry this didn't help.

Bump.

Sorry this didn't help.

No need to 'bump' an hour later.  Your thread is being seen.  Have you tried calling phone support or anything of the sort because thats a pretty weird problem that you can play online but cant download.  The system is recieving information just like it would be if it was downloading when you are playing online.

Sorry this didn't help.