Downloads in regards to Hard drives

Hey there! I just have a quick question and I apologize if it's something that's been answered already, but I looked and couldn't find it.

Anyway, if I use the hard drive that came with my xbox 360 and put it in a different console and then download something to it, how is that content licensed? and will I be able to access that content if I put the hard drive back into my own xbox 360?

Thank you very much for your time.

- Dylan

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

In most cases (avatar items are the main exception), content is licensed to the console it is originally downloaded to as well as the account that originally purchased the content. If you need to take your hard drive elsewhere to download content, you should bring your entire console so that the console license is attached to your console rather than someone else's console.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

In this case, the laser in my xbox is no longer working and I can't play games, so would you suggest that I go back to my old one to download and then play on the other, or go through the license transfer process to license all of my downloaded material to the new xbox, if that's possible that is.

Sorry this didn't help.

Downloads don't have anything to do with the laser unless you are talking about installing games from disc to your hard drive. If that is the case, you won't be able to use the broken console as it still reads and checks the disc before allowing the game to start. Games of Demand and arcade games should still work even if the laser doesn't since no disc is required.

You are going to need to switch to your old (working) console or get a new console altogether and do the license transfer if you want to play disc-based games. You will just need to make sure that you have the credentials to all accounts (if more than 1) that have purchased anything so that you can transfer the content. After the transfer is complete (www.xbox.com/drm or from the guide button on your new console), you will need to re-download all of the content in order to refresh the licenses so that you will be able to play offline and on other accounts on the primary console.

Please note that license transfers can only be done once every 4 months so if you plan to get a new console in the near future, you may want to hold off on performing the license transfer. If you delay, you will still be able to play the content, but only when connected to Xbox Live and only with the original purchasing account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, thank you very much for your quick responses.

Sorry this didn't help.