Downloading game for newbie

I'm new to the Xbox scene, only got one because of my daughter. Now I have an account set up for me which is a live free account, my daughter has a live gold account which I pay a subscription for. Now she is after a game called minecraft and I can't get hold of the game from the shops anywhere so I'm looking into downloading it. What I need to know is: I want my daughter to be able to play the game online with her school friends so does the game have to be downloaded with her account? Or do I have to download it through my account? If someone could explain it in and "dumb it down" for me I would appreciate it, Many thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Greetings mortus72,

You need to purchase it on your daughters account.  Downloaded games have digital licenses, so it wouldn't work on her account if you bought it with your LIVE account.  Xbox Arcade games need to be purchased with Microsoft Points, you can either purchase these points with a Credit/Debit card from Xbox.com or via your console or with a Points card that can be bought from most video game retailers.

Hope that helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there,

Minecraft is a arcade game, which can only be downloaded, but I guess you already found that out :-)

I would guess that the best thing to do is buy the arcade game via your daughters account, but you might have to grant the rights for her to do so via the parental controls (if set up). Some information about parental controls can be found here

support.xbox.com/.../online-safety

-

If you would buy the game on your account, your daughter would be able to play it on your console, but wouldn't be able to play the game on a different one. Since the licenses are attached to your account and your console. If the game is bought via her account, she would be able to play the game on a different console if necessary. Some additional information about licensing can be found here:

support.xbox.com/.../download-content

-

But to be able to buy the game, a redeemable microsoft points card is needed (avaialble in stores) or a payment option has to be setup.

Information on how to buy content (games etc) can be found here:

support.xbox.com/.../download-content-history

-

If you have any more questions, just let us know :-)

EDIT: Guess it took a bit long creating my answer :-)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.