downloading free Rayman Legends demo requires my credit card details

I wanted to check out the new Rayman Legends demo, which seems to be available for download for free, but when I went into download dialog it complained that I have no valid payment method set and asked for my credit card details. Apparently without those I could not access the demo.

I am a bit confused what does it mean. Will I be charged for something (maybe later on) even though the demo is free? If not, why is Microsoft asking for credit card details? I have not needed credit card on my xbox live (free) account so far and deliberately avoided to enter any credit card details just to avoid some "incidental" charge.

The download page also said that the demo is available only on the first console and on the second one only if I physically transfer it there myself and only with my account logged on. I guess there might be some mistake in classification, I would expect the free demo will not be limited by consoles, nor will require credit cards.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 109 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Are you attempting this on your console or Xbox.com? The site isn't setup to use the new local currency system and for some reason that interfere with trying to "purchase" free content and adding it to your download queue. Simply browse to the demo on you console and it'll work just fine. Or it could be that the demo is only available to users with a Gold membership.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

mattreptar: You were right! I tried to schedule demo download from xbox.com web site. Trying it directly from console gives no such problems and the demo seems to be downloading all right.

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Trusty!

I'm glad to see mattreptar was able to get things sorted for you! Let us know if you have any other questions! ^_^

Sorry this didn't help.

I think it is so wrong to be requesting payment details for a free demo download. Why when a service has been paid for and a free demo available should Microsoft have the right to ask you to enter payment options?

I wanted to queue a free demo not get my credit card out, it is things like this that make me lose trust with Microsoft.

Sort it out, as it is out of order. If you start all these shenanigans on the Xbox One then mine will be pretty quickly swapped for a PS4.

Not sure why Microsoft think they can take advantage of their customers, you are just agitating your customers, ruining your brand and encouraging consumers to go to your rivals.

Sorry this didn't help.

Umm, Capelli.  Did you even read what was posted above you?  Until the currency switch is updated on the website, just do it from your console.  No credit card needed for the demos.

Sorry this didn't help.

Silky: While I agree that Capelli probably read into it "too fast". He has some good argument. For users who are not aware of this "problem" and who face the same situation it could give exactly the impression Capelli describes (it was for me in my case). I agree with him that Microsoft should anticipate this and should not have even allowed this to happen (by planning the switch differently). Collecting credit card details, especially today, when few big companies face leaking data, is not something you would expect to be thrown around carelessly and unnecessarily as in this case.

Sorry this didn't help.

TrustySix50842 -- It's a bug in the Games Store backend.  In todays world where technology is expanding quicker than people can learn how to implement it properly bugs happen.  Microsoft is working on a solution so ethically and morally they've done nothing wrong.  Also remember that Microsoft has never been hacked and chances are they will never experience any significant intrusion.  Honestly I'd be willing to wager some good money on Microsoft having a better defensive network than the Pentagon does.  They certainly have a better one than many government sites including the White House and the DoJ which have been hacked several times this millennium alone.

Consumers also have to be more aware of their rights with financial institutions, anything billed to a card--even your banking card--as "credit" is Federally protected against fraudulent charges.  If on the extremely slim chance someone broke through the numerous layers of security and encryption that Microsoft has then all it takes is one card to the card issuers to have those charges removed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey folks,

There has been a lot of good information provided and a great work around too. Still, I can definitely understand where Silky and Capelli are coming from and I know several people who don't like having cards attached to their account.

The best place for this discussion would be in our Feedback Forums to make sure that the right eyes see it. 

Happy Gaming! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Silky... what is the currency switch thing?

As for me...

I try to download the demo from my console it says I require an XBox Live account - which I have since I'm logged in and posting here.

I try to download the demo from the website and it asks for credit card information... and I don't have a credit card at this time. I do have PayPal, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

So, what am I to do?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there swnorton,

Sorry to hear you're having issues downloading that demo.

You can find a lot of information in our Account Transition to Currency FAQ. In regards to your console saying that you require an Xbox Live account:

• Are you able to download other demos or trial games on your console when signed in to this account?
  • Have you tried signing in with a different account to download the Rayman demo?

As this thread is a little old, if these steps don't work for you, please go ahead and create a new thread detailing your situation along with the error code/message you see and the troubleshooting steps that you've taken so that we can tailor our support to your needs.

Sorry this didn't help.