Downloading content is slow compared to my connection speed

When downloading any update or anything from Xbox, it is significantly slow compared to my internet connection. By timing the downloading speed on the Halo 4 Spartan ops pack thing, I calculated that it downloaded around 400 kb/s compared to my networking speed which is 11.8MB/s (aka 94mBit/s). My question is why the Xbox content delivery network is slow. And it is not an issue on my own network. Many of my friends also experience the same slow downloading speed when downloading content. And I must say it kinda sucks when we are sitting here on high speed internet connections which the services we have paid money for cannot even take full advantage (in my situation, 5% of my capacity) of our Internet connections.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 13 Applies to:

Hello,

I would first suggest you ensure in your router that you have the correct xbox live ports open in order to receive the best possible connection.

support.xbox.com/.../network-ports-used-xbox-live

Those ports as well as information on how to forward ports for your specific router can be found in the link above.

I would assume there are also some limits placed on some of the live servers just to make sure people cant steal all the speed and leave others with nothing.  Halo 4 atm, is a popular game and with the recent release of that dlc pack, there are probably a lot of others downloading all at once. This will naturally create slow down in terms of what your max is and what the rate you download on live seems to be.  A wired connection will also net you the best download rate, if you are not already wired. There are a ton of reasons for slow networks, so its hard to determine them all, You could be 1500 miles from the closest servers and therefore, it is slow to send.  You could be playing the most popular of all the games and when 10million people are also playing it, servers get hammered.

But anyways, try making sure those ports are open it may help out in speed, but do keep in mind the heavy traffic in popular games. :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I am currently connected through Ethernet between my Xbox and the router (Gigabit network).

You should not have to port forward anything in order to make your services run any faster. It is like saying I have to open port 80 for my local IP in order to make downloading a game on my pc faster. Networking doesn't work that way. Port forwarding means you are opening the router so connections externally can connect to your computer through that port. For a peer to peer network (eg. BitTorrent or Gnutella (RIP Limewire)), you should do this to make it run faster. However, on a web-browser and a gaming console, these are things you don't need to do because the systems are designed so you don't have to. Only port-forward when you are setting up for example a web-server or a game-server (Minecraft) and you want other computers to be able to connect to your specific IP-address. Normal users are not supposed to even know what "port-forwarding" means, and it would be dangerous to let them mess with their router settings.

That I am 1500 miles away from a xbox server does not really matter much. Microsoft is using something called a content delivery network (CDN) which means they have placed several servers to distribute content out to the users where the placement of the servers is based on where the user load comes from. Even though, my network can easily download a file on 10 MB/s from a dedicated server located in the US.

Back on-topic, my point is that when I am paying for a service which mainly is for me letting me use their network, I expect the network to work as good as possible. Microsoft is one of the largest IT-companies in the world and they have several CDN networks (Windows Update, Windows Azure, Xbox, MSDN, and the list goes on) where I can download at far higher speeds than on my Xbox. And the biggest difference is that I don't even have to pay to download anything from these services. And that is the reason why I take the time to go ask people and why I have ended up here asking WHY I am having this crappy download speed on my high-speed internet connection.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.