Downloading certain things from the game market place freezes and restarts my console

With all this talk about Mass Effect 3, I've finally caved and decided to play through the series. Instead of trying to find a disk copy, I decide to use the game marketplace as I like the idea of not having to hunt for the disk and pop it in, I can just turn on the box and start. I had a really good experience with this when playing through Assassins Creed 2 earlier this year and figured I'd do it again.

But I have a problem, whenever I try to download Mass Effect 1, it gets to about 1%, the console freezes/locks up and restarts and repeats this process continually until I remove the game from the download queue and clear the system cache. No error codes are shown and there are no other issues apparent. I have only experienced this problem when downloading one other game, the Warhammer 40K: Space Marine demo a couple. I can download Apps like Netflix and Last.FM without issue. I can download game demos (Mass Effect 3 demo, Dead Space Dismemberment Demo). I can also download game trailers without issue.

I'm at a loss here. I've gone through the downloading trouble shooter, a couple chat conversations with support, and a long back-and-forth on twitte but I'm getting nowhere.

Things I've tried:

• Deleting download fragment from the hard drive
  • Clearing system cache
  • Deleting the Marketplace Data
  • Deleting my profile and re-downloading it
  • Removing my hard drive, starting up my console, shutting it down, and reinserting the drive.
  • Using a different power socket.
  • Directly connecting to my cable modem
  • Using my router/AP's "DMZ" feature.
  • Made sure the Xbox has decent ventilation. The wifey can keep the thing on all day listening to music and I can come home and play games and watch movies without issue.
  • My power brick is showing a green light when the Xbox is powered on and orange when not.
I think that's everything. 
If anyone can help me, I would be most happy! I really want to start the Mass Effect series.
Thank you,
Josh

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Hey there Hot! I understand you are having some issues downloading a couple of things from the Marketplace. It seems like you have already tired quite a bit, so thank you for that! Exactly how are you downloading the game each time; are you going back to the Marketplace or downloading from your Download History. Try both and see what happens.

Also, another thing I would be curious about is if you tried queuing up the download from the website, then turn your console on. Do you still get freezing? Let me know how these two tests go, thanks! 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I didn't think that was pertinent, but I have tried all three of those methods to download the game. As they all led to failure, I've settled on using the Download History as it seems to be the fastest way to initiate a download.

Thanks,

Josh

Sorry this didn't help.

And now the whole system has issues with the hard drive. Gonna let it sit out for the night.

Not looking forward to buying a new one and loosing all my stuff. :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, it's fixed...I think.

What I ended up doing was hooking up the slim drive to my tower and reformatted it to NTFS with default settings. I then plugged it back into my Xbox and things appear to be working once more. I am now downloading Mass Effect 1 and it's at about 20% complete at the moment.

I don't know what could have cause this issue. I'm not a dard drive buff, but some searching seemed to indicate some drives had issues after a while and a reformat would resolve it.

I can't tell you how much it sucks to have lost all that data, but It is good to have the drive back. I think I'll have to start making use of the cloud storage from now on.

Sorry this didn't help.

I been having the same problem ever since the XBL update. My HD was working fine before, every update they come out with the xbox seems to suffer. Called support and of course their clueless, it is expected so iam not upset. It kinda sad when you know if you call tech support, there's a big chance they wont solve the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey again Hot. We don't recommend doing any formatting or altering of the Hard Drive from a PC. Are you referring to the reformat option on the console itself?

Hey there Fusion! We are happy to assist you, but we do ask that you create your own thread here for our best help. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.