Downloaded games ten years down the road?

So I'm pretty new to the whole concept of digital gaming (I pretty much skipped the entire seventh generation of consoles). I have heard that because of the way digital games work, at some point down the road when Microsoft stops selling older Xbox One games, the games that have already been purchased will be rendered unplayable. I'm not exactly sure if this is referring to games that you have purchased but do not have installed being impossible to reinstall, or if for some reason the games that are installed on your Xbox will become unplayable? This is pretty much the deciding factor as to whether or not I will buy digital or on disc as I still play many of my old Gamecube games with my friends and I would be somewhat disappointed if ten years down the road my Xbox One games would be rendered unplayable.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

You would likely only lose access to the digital content years from now once Xbox 2 has been released and Microsoft stop supporting the xbox one.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That doesn't quite answer my question though: would I lose everything or only the content not on the system hard drive?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.