Downloaded games from ondemand get "Disc cannot be read" error.

Black Ops II, for the most part. But Crysis 2, Mafia II, out of all the ones I have. not one doesn't get this error.

Any advice?

Microsoft support is *** garbage, so calling them is pointless even though I've tried numerous times.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

bump

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

bump

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Hoplite,

What kind of storage device are you using? USB or HDD? I ask, because if there is a bad connection between the console and the storage, that can cause this error.

If the connection seems fine, I would try deleting the affected content, then downloading some demos and stuff that will be equal to, or larger than the game data you deleted. Once you do that, re-download the affected content you deleted, and then feel free to delete the demo stuff. What this will do is put the affected content on a different sector of your storage device, which can clear up some errors.

Also, going forward, please do not bump your own thread. We view every thread, every day, and we go from oldest to newest, so if you keep bumping, your actually putting yourself further down the queue.

Let us know if that helps!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had the same problem with purchasing Black Ops II from Games on Demand (yesterday). I have attempted clearing my 320 gig drive cache and multiple re-downloads in hopes of solving the problem. I'm guessing something has corrupted my hard drive because old demos that once worked are now freezing along with Black Ops II. This has all occurred within the last 24 hours. I am currently attempting to implement Ohnaka's suggestion.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ohnaka's suggestion didn't work on my end (appreciated though). All the additional (over 7.5 gb) content I downloaded and (black Ops 2) re downloaded was all corrupted. Each game either froze the xbox or posted the "disc unreadable" message. I'm curious if Hoplite has had any success or further discoveries. I noticed that Black Ops 2 downloads up to 80% and then speeds up through to 100% (every time)... strange. Seems like a corrupt file that has corrupted the external hard drive at this point. :(

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a HDD xbox 360 hard drive.

I deleted BO:II, and redownloaded it and can atleast play now, but after every game online, I get that "Disc cannot be read" error. I've also cleared the syste cashe.

I'll have to try the demo idea, thanks.

Out of curiousity, if the hard drive is malfuctioning, does that mean if I transfer the content from that drive to a new drive that the issue would transfer as well? Or would it be stricty a hardware problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey AmericanHoplite! Definitely give that 'demo idea' a go and let us know the results. As far as HDD errors go, transferring that content and using a new HDD would ideally resolve the issue as it should strictly be hardware. There is a chance that the issue would persist with this particular content so give that suggested step the run through before we assume hardware issue.

@WillfulFiend762 Would you mind starting your own thread regarding this issue? Ideally we'd like to help you each out individually, as certain steps could apply to one of you but not the other, plus we get to give you one on one attention that way! It would be appreciated. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Demo idea didn't work.

So assuming it's a hard drive issue, and I buy another hard drive for $130 (which is ridiculous), what happens if the issue continues? If it's an issue on your end, with the content xbox is uploading. I know numerous people who are having similar issues, and it's not just with Black Ops II.

Secondly, Mister Ohnaka asked if I was using a USB storage device, I'm assuming that means I can use a normal USB stick as a storage device for the Xbox? I have a few that are large enough for BO:II and other things, I'm going to look around the forums a bit more, but I'm guessing it's safe to use a USB, which is what I'm going to try next.

Sorry this didn't help.

check out this page about formatting a thumb drive to work with your x-box:

support.xbox.com/.../usb-flash-drive

Sorry this didn't help.