Download performance

I have a 250MBps download/40MBps upload link. When downloading a game (at least tested with the last 2 games) the speed is about 2MBps. Imagine having to download 90GB (RDR2) at 2MBps, this is pathetic.

I have restarted the console, no luck.

The networking test on the console confirms 223MBps download speed and 36MBps upload speed, yet it takes days to install even small games like World of Warships. Right now I'm waiting to download Red Dead Redemption 2 and I expect this to take a couple of days. This just isn't acceptable, neither is the total lack of contacting support for this issue. I have paid premium money to buy an Xbox 1 X, I do not think it is unreasonable to expect a modicum of support for this device.

What can I do to get a reasonable download speed?

My Xbox 1 X is connected via cable, no wireless and, as mentioned, the on-board network test shows in excess of 200MBps download speed, yet the actual download speed, as reported by the device, is around 2MBps.

Please make sure you don't start a download and play a game at once.

This will greatly reduce the download speed

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Try performing a hard reset EXACTLY like this. Hold the power button on the console for 8 seconds or until the power shuts down completely.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the console for 5 minutes.  Plug the power cord back in and restart the console.

The speed test doesn't look at the server you are downloading the game from.  You will rarely get your full bandwidth when downloading but you obviously should get more than you are getting.  You might also try downloading at a different time of day that will sometimes help.  

Happy Gaming!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try performing a hard reset EXACTLY like this. Hold the power button on the console for 8 seconds or until the power shuts down completely.  Unplug the power cord from the back of the console for 5 minutes.  Plug the power cord back in and restart the console.

The speed test doesn't look at the server you are downloading the game from.  You will rarely get your full bandwidth when downloading but you obviously should get more than you are getting.  You might also try downloading at a different time of day that will sometimes help.  

Thanks, will try power-cycling the device now as you described. Hope that helps with the speed. Will report back later.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There could be so many factors.

1. When you are downloading something and you are playing the connection divide itself so the connection works in the two process. In your case, it is so weird showing that your connection is up 250MB.

2.Check your DNS, search what DNS can you write and put in your console, for me, that worked.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm using Google public DNS, i.e. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

My connection speed is indeed 250MBps, I can download files at almost 30MB/s if the server supports it. Just XBONEX is so slow.

I have performed a power cycle including unplugging the device for over 5 minutes but it did not help. If anything it seems even slower now. And it's not even prime-time (close to midnight on a regular working day). See screenshot.

Is there anything else I can do?

And my external storage is USB 3.0 (WD Passport), so that can't be a bottleneck either.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please make sure you don't start a download and play a game at once.

This will greatly reduce the download speed

Thanks for the hint, but I'm not doing anything else on that box right now. I just bought the game and was surprised at the low speed. I don't expect to play it today, but at that rate it will take forever and a day to download.

On a side note, downloading World of Warships took about 10 hours to download. Granted that was during daytime but my ISP (German Telekom) is pretty good in terms of average speed. I do not think it's an ISP issue.

Can I tell which server I'm downloading from? Maybe that server has no peering with DECIX, though I doubt that. Even if that was the case I should get higher speeds.

I am honestly at a loss. Networking is part of my daytime job, so I thought I have thought of everything but obviously, some things still elude me. I am grateful for any other pointers as to what I could try, no matter how unlikely.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could it be so slow because I'm using the XBONEX via streaming? The W10 Xbox App was minimized for a while and when I restored it, I briefly saw a download rate of about 80MBps. When I restored the app the speed went back down to 1.5MBps.

My internal network is all wired and 1GBps, so that's definitely not the issue. Could it be the XBOX app is the root cause for this? Can't see why because the streaming rate is 3MBps, but it does seem odd. When streaming games via Xbox app, I get in excess of 20MBps though. Microsoft?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Indigo!

I noticed in your last screenshot you are streaming beenden while you're trying to download the game. That looks like your bottleneck right there. Can you confirm?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could it be so slow because I'm using the XBONEX via streaming? The W10 Xbox App was minimized for a while and when I restored it, I briefly saw a download rate of about 80MBps. When I restored the app the speed went back down to 1.5MBps.

My internal network is all wired and 1GBps, so that's definitely not the issue. Could it be the XBOX app is the root cause for this? Can't see why because the streaming rate is 3MBps, but it does seem odd. When streaming games via Xbox app, I get in excess of 20MBps though. Microsoft?

I would definitely stop all streaming services and just download the game and then confirm the download speed increase/decrease for the results minus the streaming. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2021 Views 55 Applies to: