Does it annoy any one else how little they turn the wheel on sharp turns?

I mean I been playing and the game is great and all. it's been so long since I actually enjoyed a racing game. But when I'm making sharp turns and see the guy barely turning the wheel it  really annoys me. I know for a fact that if I were making that turn in my car in real life I would roll the wheel alot more than they let you in this game.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Choose a different view to feel less annoyed

I like that view. It just seems very unrealistic to me being that Forza is supposed to be a sim. Just saying it's a minor annoyance nothing more.

Let me preface this by saying I haven't yet played FM5, but I'm assuming this aspect is similar to FM4.  

Really, it depends on the car...if you're driving something like a formula car or an indy car, they generally only have around 360 degrees of lock in real life, so the on-screen animation of the driver's hands would be more or less accurate.  Even at the hairpin at Monaco (the tightest corner on the F1 calendar), you'll never see Lewis Hamilton do a hand-over-hand turn.  It's just the way the cars are designed.

But yeah, for your typical road car, the amount of hand/arm motion shown when navigating tight hairpins is not really what you'd call spot-on.  My guess is it may be a technical limitation of the animation rig (hands being anchored to the wheel), or it could just be a way for the production to save time/money by simplifying the animation required...people are far more likely to be concerned with how the cars and tracks look and feel, than with the actual driver animation...so maybe they felt they could cut some corners (no pun intended).

actually the wheels (exterior view) of cars don't turn either. they turn very little and look out right unnatural.

"But when I'm making sharp turns and see the guy barely turning the wheel it  really annoys me. I know for a fact that if I were making that turn in my car in real life I would roll the wheel alot more than they let you in this game.".

You don't race in race cars, though.  Professional motorsports don't have drivers turning the wheel hand-over-hand through 720 degrees or anything like that.  They normally won't go more than 90 degrees left to 90 right, or 180 total.  At 120, 150, or 200 MPH, having to turn the steering wheel excessively is sloppy and amateur.  Drivers driving a car without a clutch pedal use left-foot braking rather than using one foot back and forth between gas and brake because the time it takes to go from one pedal to the other is wasted, and turning the wheel also means poor performance.  In Formula One, they never go more than 180 degrees lock-to-lock (quarter turn left to quarter turn right) except at Monaco because of the tight hairpin for which they modify the steering to go 360 degrees lock-to-lock, or half a turn left to half a turn right.  On only one track do F1 steering wheels turn far enough that the top of the wheel rotates to the bottom, and on all others it goes half as far.

Not sure but it might have something to do with the Steering setting in the Assists.  Leaving it on Normal, which most probably do, seems to limit the number of degrees that the wheels turn even though you may have the Thumbstick cranked all of the way in either direction, less chance is spinning out this way.  Simulation seems to allow the wheels to turn a substantial number of degrees more and I spin all of the time when trying to play with that setting.

-

I've never tested it though looking specifically for how much or how little the wheels appear to turn under each of those settings so I cannot say for certain if it makes a difference.  Might want  to give it a try for yourself and see if you notice a difference.

[quote user="Knowitall"]

Not sure but it might have something to do with the Steering setting in the Assists.  Leaving it on Normal, which most probably do, seems to limit the number of degrees that the wheels turn even though you may have the Thumbstick cranked all of the way in either direction, less chance is spinning out this way.  Simulation seems to allow the wheels to turn a substantial number of degrees more and I spin all of the time when trying to play with that setting.

[/quote]

Interesting observation. I ought to test that out; I've only raced simulation so far.

You want to know what really grinds my gears?? its the developers patching the game to make it harder, yup I said it! Harder, I been having a harder time staying on the road POWER sliding around uncontrollably since the last update, don't tell me its nothing more than there GREED of seeing too much credits going out the window instead of more people BUYING tokens either, I seen the same thing in F1 2013, I used to ACE that game all the time NOW Im 15 seconds of the pace an stuck in last place all the time, I pay good money to have fun NOT to watch half the track pass me during a race.

[quote user="Knowitall"]Not sure but it might have something to do with the Steering setting in the Assists.  Leaving it on Normal, which most probably do, seems to limit the number of degrees that the wheels turn even though you may have the Thumbstick cranked all of the way in either direction, less chance is spinning out this way.  Simulation seems to allow the wheels to turn a substantial number of degrees more and I spin all of the time when trying to play with that setting.[/quote]

It doesn't if I recall correctly. I was playing with all assists off earlier and the only time it turned more than about a 45 degree angle that I noticed was when I was drifting around a corner and losing control because I wasn't paying attention and didn't break early enough and even then the wheel was only turned at about a 90 degree rotation.