Does installing a game guarantee the disc is OK?

I bought a used game and the disc has some scratches on it.

If I install the game to my 360 (and it successfully reaches 100%) does this mean all of the game data is now on my Xbox and the disc is OK? 

My understanding is that when you install a game to 360, it copies over ALL of the game content from the disc to the 360. The Xbox then only needs to verify the disc is in the tray in order to play the game.

Is this accurate? Or will the Xbox still need to access data from the disc during play?

I'd just hate to give the seller positive feedback and say everything's OK with the scratches, and then run into problems down the road.

Thanks. :)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Yes, if you reach 100% then it means the data has been installed to your drive and the disc is only needed for verification.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It doesn't always mean the disc is okay.

For example. I can install and play my copy of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 with no problem. Yet if I try to play it from the disc, then I get read errors.

It seems as if the console is far more forgiving of disc errors when installing. 

Sorry this didn't help.

@onyx62is and @voteDC - Thanks for the feedback. The scratches aren't deep--very superficial. I just wanted to make sure that if I could install the game to 100%, that I could play it. Seems like I can. :)

Sorry this didn't help.