Does Destruction damage increase with higher skill?

From what I can gather, the only real point of adding points to Destruction magic is to unlock perks and higher level (more powerful) spells.  If I'm playing a hybrid of the thief and mage class, and use runes to set a lot of traps, do the runes always do 50 damage, no matter what my skill is?  If so, there wouldn't be much point in concentrating on raising Destruction, if Runes were the only spell I planned to use most of the time, correct?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sadly, damage does not increase the higher your skill. But, it will cost less to cast destruction spells. If you want your destruction spells to inflict more damage, you will have to use more advanced spells.

Thanks Legion...that kind of confirms what I suspected.  It is sad, really, since those Runes would have been such a great support spell for a stealthy mage.  I just tested what the damage is using dual casting destruction runes, and it appears to basically double the damage.  I had been thinking about using a couple of perks on dual cast and rune master, for placing them at a distance.  But the damage isn't really that great, so I don't think it's worth two perks.  I guess you could keep casting these from the shadows, but it still doesn't seem that useful with only minor damage.

I completely agree. I am stealthy battlemage and these runes have now become useless. This is blasphemy.

You know whats awesome???

Fortify Destruction Potions.

Thanks to my enchanting and alchemy skills and the stacking that I do, I can make potions that fortifies my destruction damage a little over 500% for 60 seconds.........BOSS!!! But the VERY sad thing about those potions, that even with those potions, the cloak and rune damage is STILL the same. But the rest of the spells are increased. Maybe it does do more damage and it just doesn't show the numbers on the screen, I dont know as I've yet to actually use those spells.

But to make destruction potions, mix these ingredients together.

Bee husk

Ectoplasm

Glow dust

Glowing mushroom

Nightshade

Wisp Wrapping

Early perks just make casting the spells cheaper, you can always cast an expert spell if you know it. I haven't really tried Runes. The later perks add additional effect. Looking at the wiki and the guide it would appear that the wall spells are the advanced form of runes but they work best with perks. The master spells are only available after a mage college quest.

Dual Runes is OK, along with Overcharge, I think it is.

100 damage and then some to all enemies chasing you if they're close enough? Not too bad.

I just use the skill tree in destruction for the dual casting and upgrading the spells themselves, because I enchant my armor to give me the 100% reduced destruction cost.  As soon as I get my enchanting up to 100 then I'm going to do the same for restoration along with my destruction I think ?

The character I'm using is essentially a pure mage with 100 in Conjure, Illusion, Alteration, and Enchanting, but those Illusion spells were way too overpowered combined with Paralyze, so I've since morphed into more of an assassin mage just to mix up my gameplay a bit.  Enchantments allowed me to add some sneak and one-handed skill for stealth attacks, which is why I was interested in the runes.  But the weak damage at this level makes them kind of useless.  But on a positive note, the animation for mages who decloak from the Invisible spell, just in time to slit an enemies throat, is just about the coolest thing in this game.

You can put points into augmented flame, frost, or shock to increase their base damage. The master fire spell does 150 damage with both levels of augmented flames put on. If you know what you're doing, you can easily be a pure Mage and just roll though dungeons with ease on master. One of my guys is a pure Breton Mage with about as much magika as I could put in with some in health. I've rolled through vampire lairs on master with nothing but some robes and hood and hardly had to lift a finger.

High level fire spells with Augmented flame perks would make you a juggernaut in Vampire lairs.  I hadn't thought about the Augmented perks for runes.  That would give an extra what, 50% damage? 

I love listening to stories from other people who have gone the pure mage route.  It's not hard to see just how overpowered that class is.  I went into a Falmer cave the other day with one follower.  I gave her the Sanguine Rose so she could cast Dremora.  I used no stealth at all....just ran it.  Each time we'd run into falmer, I cast Paralyze on them, then conjured twin Dremora.  My character basically stood there and watched while the follower and our THREE conjured dremora literally beat the snot out of a group of Falmer Shadowmasters who were laying on the ground.