Do you "expect" free codes when you buy a game "new"?

I'm not trying to sound like a spoiled kid, but the way the industry has been going I almost expect a code of some sort in a new game. I bought RE6 and there wasn't any kind of code. The few games I bought new before that had some kind of a free give-away. 

I know that there are online passes and disc-locked content and day 1 dlc. These to me are a way to get extra money and see what they can squeeze from us.  Whether you agree with these practices or not, it is getting out of hand.

I buy most games new. I always have, but the way they are trying to get extra money from us it almost seems like they should have an extra incentive to buy new besides pre-ordering. I bought a Kinect game that had a code for 160 msp. that was cool and I wouldn't have gotten it if it was used.

Buying new to support your favorite devs and ip's should be enough and it is, but.............

What do you guys think? 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I agree that the current state of the industry is getting out of hand.

I don't expect something additional when I buy a game new but I would like not having to see DLC/preorder bonuses/online passes/all sorts of other *** around every corner.

Why someone would support something like online passes is utterly beyond me.

I expect Codes and stuff when I preorder. I don't like ti when different stores have different preorder bonuses. I also don't like it when special editions are exclusive to one store.

If I don't preorder, I don't expect codes. The codes I got with Sleeping Dogs were a bonus, I think they were preorder codes that were surplus. I also got a sweet War figurine when I bought Darksiders 1 which I hadn't preordered. I think that was surplus Preorder stock.

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]Why someone would support something like online passes is utterly beyond me.[/quote]

Take that nonsense to the other thread about Online passes that sprang up yesterday. No need to derail this one when it is already being discussed in another thread.

I expect the Content on the Disc to be available on the Disc at Retail. I don't mind if some Pre-order Locks out a gun (or whatever) but Characters/ Missions, Quest and Levels being Locked out is wrong.

I like codes when I open up games. I don't need or want much maybe a costume a few weapons or 2 day XBL pass

"Take that nonsense to the other thread about Online passes that sprang up yesterday. No need to derail this one when it is already being discussed in another thread".

I'm sensing some rage. Also, my post would hardly have derailed the thread since it was related. Your response might do it though...

[quote user="brandiesel1"]

I'm not trying to sound like a spoiled kid, but the way the industry has been going I almost expect a code of some sort in a new game. I bought RE6 and there wasn't any kind of code. The few games I bought new before that had some kind of a free give-away. 

I know that there are online passes and disc-locked content and day 1 dlc. These to me are a way to get extra money and see what they can squeeze from us.  Whether you agree with these practices or not, it is getting out of hand.

I buy most games new. I always have, but the way they are trying to get extra money from us it almost seems like they should have an extra incentive to buy new besides pre-ordering. I bought a Kinect game that had a code for 160 msp. that was cool and I wouldn't have gotten it if it was used.

Buying new to support your favorite devs and ip's should be enough and it is, but.............

What do you guys think? 

[/quote]I'd rather the content just be on the disc like the good old days...

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

"Take that nonsense to the other thread about Online passes that sprang up yesterday. No need to derail this one when it is already being discussed in another thread".

I'm sensing some rage. Also, my post would hardly have derailed the thread since it was related. Your response might do it though...

[/quote]

Kami is right. Don't want another Online Pass war.

[quote user="ChainSmokingBob"]

I'm sensing some rage.

[/quote]No rage, just telling it like it is.

I honestly don't care. Most of the time, the codes are superficial and meaningless, and not actually an incentive for me to buy new or pre-oder. Actual, tangible things on the other hand are different. I went out and pre-ordered Catherine when I found out there was an artbook and OST.