Do video games cost too much?

Very excellent, long-but-worth-it opinion piece on the cost of games for your reading pleasure.     

[view:http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/04/opinion-kohler-video-expensive]

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

"Conclusion: Games Cost Too Much Money

Why do people buy used games? Because they cost less money. Why do people sell their used games? Because they’d rather have money than the game. The number one reason, in that 2008 survey, why gamers traded in games was “The game is not very good.”

Games cost too much: Players don’t feel that it is a good value to pay $60 for a game and then immediately be hit with an additional $10-$20 charge for the rest of the content.

Games cost too much: The popularity of used videogames simply indicates that players are seeking to mitigate those costs from both ends, by buying low-cost used games and/or selling games back for store credit.

Games cost too much: Gamers are dumping more of their money and time into smartphones and tablets, where games cost a dollar or are free and are getting more and more entertaining by the day.

Games cost too much: Gamers are happy to pay $60 and up for the best-in-class experiences like Call of Duty or Skyrim, but they don’t have to pay $60 for B-games anymore. Let alone $90.

Games cost too much, and there are plenty of game publishers that are doing something about it. The ones who aren’t will just keep losing their customers."

-

I especially liked the conclusion

[quote user="II PARALLAX II"]

[/quote]

I knew you would.  =)

I still remember 50$ :(

I mean it was fine then, but I hope they keep it at around 60.

And this is why I buy on the internet, you can still buy LE, pre-order bonuses etc, for less than half price. I pre-ordered Sniper Elite V2, I get the pre-order bonus and everything, for $45! Compared to the retail of $100.

[quote user="II PARALLAX II"]

"Conclusion: Games Cost Too Much Money

Why do people buy used games? Because they cost less money. Why do people sell their used games? Because they’d rather have money than the game. The number one reason, in that 2008 survey, why gamers traded in games was “The game is not very good.”

Games cost too much: Players don’t feel that it is a good value to pay $60 for a game and then immediately be hit with an additional $10-$20 charge for the rest of the content.

Games cost too much: The popularity of used videogames simply indicates that players are seeking to mitigate those costs from both ends, by buying low-cost used games and/or selling games back for store credit.

Games cost too much: Gamers are dumping more of their money and time into smartphones and tablets, where games cost a dollar or are free and are getting more and more entertaining by the day.

Games cost too much: Gamers are happy to pay $60 and up for the best-in-class experiences like Call of Duty or Skyrim, but they don’t have to pay $60 for B-games anymore. Let alone $90.

Games cost too much, and there are plenty of game publishers that are doing something about it. The ones who aren’t will just keep losing their customers."

-

[/quote]Same here!

I'm trying to rememeber how much retail games were when I first started gaming... think it was below 40$

That was too much...

I partly agree to the conclusion as you can get B games for a much smaller price and C games (arcade style) for free on the internet. A games like Skyrim and Battlefield are completely worth the price tag though as you're talking 100+ hours for each in general. I buy one or two Xbox games a year max, i research whats coming out and i'll keep my eye on my favourite titles so i'll invest £50 or £100 per annum in computer games max. If you compare that to the hours of play i get out of each (if ive done my research right and got the right games!) it'll work out like this:

BF3 hours played 159. Purchase price £45. Value per hour: 45/159 = £0.28

Skyrim hours played 130. Purchase price £50. Value per hour: 50/130 = £0.38

Rent a DVD? duration 2 hours generally for what, £4? thats £2 per hour

Go out drinking with friends? 1 or 2 beers per hour if you're going slow = £7 per hour

Cinemas? £8 per person for 2 hours, £4 per hour

The only comparable purchasable entertainment to games in terms of cost is reading and watching normal TV (TV license being £37.64 per quarter) and you'd have to watch 12 hours a week to get a sub £1 value per hour cost.

So yeah, its still pretty cheap for how much you get out of it :)

Oh and it goes without saying that people buying 10+ games a year will obviously get less time to play each as they have added more choice into the equation which in turn gives them less value per hour. It actually makes it a pretty expensive form of entertainment if you're the kind of gamer that just buys lots of hype games to try out and trade back in.

Inflation. Our dollar is worth less and less, at least here in a America. No matter who we elect they only add to our deficit, so I never vote.

Do games cost too much? No. Take a movie, for example: $8 entry, $12 combo and at best you get 2-3 hours of entertainment. Assuming a game is only 6-9 hours, it is the same cost.

We all know you get more than 9 hours of enjoyment on any title with MP.