do scores from magazine reviews matter?

i don't think they do cos most of the games they gave 9/10, 10/10 to are crap. for example, i prefer games based on movies, superhero games etc. i haven't played it yet, but i reckon family guy: bttm is better than cod and halo. in fact, the only games that are on oxm uk's must buy list that i like are batman, hitman, assassin's creed, any game made by rockstar etc. all my other favourite games got either 8/10 or lower.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Everyone has their own opinions and preferences.

true, but it seems like ppl are just buying cod and halo now just cos everyone else is.

Halo is good but the series isn't copy and pasted every year. Halo is only release every 3 years. Unlike Call of Duty that game is a piece of garbage.

halo 3 was good. wasn't that much into reach, and i haven't played halo 4 yet. it hate it when you get past a hard part of the level and when you die, you go back to before the hard bit. i did finish reach, though. but i swear, they need to stop making cod games.

Halo reach was a awful Halo. Halo 4 is pretty good game though it has some features from what Call of Duty uses. But Call of Duty never created those features.

Most video game publications overrate.  The average score is about 7, whereas it should be 5.  Final scores are silly.  If you want a better indication on how good a game is I suggest reading the actually content of the review rather than looking at the scores.  Some reviews are terrible and badly written.  Good reviews are clear, informative, and go into detail about the positives and negatives.  Also I hate reviews that sound pretentious, it really conveys nothing.

i think these days most games feels the same. also, there's a rumour that the next hitman game might not star agent 47. one thing that ruins games for me a bit is when they change the protagonist. gta doesn't count as they change the protagonist for every game.

[quote user="the1337gamer"]

Most video game publications overrate.  The average score is about 7, whereas it should be 5.  Final scores are silly.  If you want a better indication on how good a game is I suggest reading the actually content of the review rather than looking at the scores.  Some reviews are terrible and badly written.  Good reviews are clear, informative, and go into detail about the positives and negatives.  Also I hate reviews that sound pretentious, it really conveys nothing.

[/quote]my way of seeing if a games good is to play the demo. if i don't like the demo, then i won't buy the game. then again, the demos are watered down anyway. too bad not every game has a demo. that's when i watch some gameplay on youtube, instead.

Magazines? What is that?

Don't forget that a lot of developers help the reviewers inflate the score they give the game. If a reviewer gave an unfavourable review then it is not uncommon for them to miss out on launch parties, to get a copy of the game to review late or just be excluded altogether.