Do Mods Work Here or What?

Over the last week or there's been an alarming amount of dead threads brought back to life. Threads that ran their course with topics & debates that don't even apply any more are for some reason being necro'd daily. Take today for instance: I saw 2 threads from February brought back & 1 from September -- SEPTEMBER aka almost a year ago. And it seems like the people bringing them back are doing it just to do it. 

-

IMHO, there is NO reason whatsoever to bring back a thread that died 4-10 months ago in a forum as active as this one. So, where are the mods? I know for a fact that I'm not the only forum reg who finds this new trend both annoying & ridiculously unnecessary. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Reviving an old thread with a new content or a related question isn't a rule violation per se.  More than anything, it's people's adverse reaction to someone reviving an old thread that starts into the area where moderators might want to intervene.  

-

I'm really wary of discouraging people from using the search feature and posting questions to related (if old) threads.  Someone might have a question about the steps to an old solution to an issue they're having, etc.  However, if you notice people reviving old threads for no discernible reason or to antagonize people, please continue to report them.  Likewise, we appreciate patterns of behavior being brought to our attention--analysis always helps us be more efficient.

Again, if you're going to ask or answer, "When is MW2 coming out?", I agree.

Yeah, guess I'm wrong. I'm sure that [removed] guy really needed to revive 3 dead threads from October that asked about red dot sites, MW3's level cap, and how many prestiges there are. Thank god he was able to solve that 9 month long mystery...

-

What a joke . . .

I think a lot of the people disagreeing with me are missing the point entirely.

-

Using the search feature is one thing. Reviving a dead thread to answer a question that someone else already answered over 8 months ago is something else entirely.

-

All people are doing by bringing 6-10 month old threads back to life in one of the most active forums on this site is pushing more recent & relevant threads off the front page (which is where most people only look).

I agree to to as well. I Usually only post what pops up in the top and some are the old ones appear there as some do not go back and read the 1st post we just continue the subject of the topic.

-

There is also a rule in there that states 19. Thou shall not whine I understand it is a pain when these post are brought back from the dead but sometimes people just go browsing when they are board and they happen find a topic that fits there needs and want to be part of it.  

I've noticed quite a few threads being Frankensteined in several forums here. It isn't too bad unless it happens to be an Ambassador who does the resurrecting. They should know better. I agree with Colonel Boston, dead threads shouldn't be revived. I can see one month old threads or maybe even two but more than that is not necessary, just create a new thread and go from there.

[quote user="ColonelBoston"]

[quote user="Darcmyk"]

Dead threads get bumped because people check out the forum for the first time, find a topic that interests them, and they want to comment.   A good topic should have staying power and bring on endless discussions.  I notice some people revisited the topic, just to ask why the topic was dug up.  Hmmm....

[/quote]

People who come here for the 1st time don't go through 100s of  pages to find threads. And threads w/ staying power don't die after 6 replies. So let me repeat: there is NO reason to revive a dead thread from months ago in a forum as active as this one, ESPECIALLY when the topic no longer applies or was answered long ago. If someone in September want to know how pointstreaks worked, they got their answer 10 months ago; someone in Novemeber who wanted to know the fastest way to rank up probably hit 15th prestige long ago. 

[/quote]

people can search threads

The forum moderators are volunteers, they aren't paid to moderate on here.  You can't expect them to trawl through all the threads for the bad eggs.  If you want a moderator to see a bad thread, you need to report it.  They will see them faster that way.

There have been some pointless ones that have been brought back, but then again how many times has someone asked a question and their replies have been " learn to use the search feature"

You just can't make some people happy

23 explained: If thou art bumping unnecessarily, it wilt be taken care of by the people in charge.  Unless it's something really stupid, like, " When is MW2 coming out?", I still say leave them alone.  If they knew the answer, they wouldn't be asking.