Do I really have to pay to play online or is this a rental gimmick?

I am currently renting the game from Gamefly. I don't own it. Do I really have to pay money to play this game online if I purchase it from Wal-Mart or is this only for games that are for rental?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Yes. You have to pay $10 for a Kombat Pass to play online. If you buy the game brand new you get a code for free.

The online SHOULD be free. I don't think I want to play online anymore anyway. I already got m butt kicked twice. I just wondered if it was free or not. What a rip-off. Every other game is free to play online. Why isn't this?

One more question. Is this one of those monthly subscription deals or do I just pay once and then play online whenever I want?

No. Not every other game. It's a change that's coming through and possibly might stay, as well as become the trend of games from here on out. It's the only way for developers to earn money if you buy it used. It comes with a trial, though. The code is to unlock online play indefinitely. Buy it new, you get a free code. Buy it used, be prepared to fork over 800 points to stay playing online with the game. You pay for Live monthly, though, so 800 points indefinitely shouldn't seem nearly as bad in the long run if you buy it used.

800 MS Points isn't a bad deal at all. I'll fork it over when I get the money for the game and the online. :)

Keep in mind, if you buy the game new, you get the code inside it for free. No need to purchase it online. Basically, a benefit for buying it sealed and not used.

I'll probably buy it used from Gamefly when the price goes down so I'll most likely not get the code in the box when it's delivered to me.

great becouse the developers totaly didnt work there a***s off making this game for there fansl to give there money to the people who sale it.more then ever im confused why the reason they even put a online pass*sarcasm*

If I sell a painting to you and you sell it to someone else, should I get money from your sale? After all I worked hard on that painting and it isn't fair that someone else gets to own it without me getting a cut. This new trend for online passes is disturbing. Had I known that MK was going to use one I wouldn't have bought the game.

Thank EA for this. They started this trend with there sports games and now it looks like others are going to follow suit.

Do not buy the online pass until the online play has been fixed.  Its currently a lagfest and not worth a dime.