DLC not tied to system, tied to account...when did it change?

So I've been fighting Borderlands 2 DLC for weeks now. My wife purchased the Season Pass, and downloaded some DLC. The next day I tried playing on my account but the DLC was not accessible to me (same Xbox). I erased all DLC files, made sure both accounts are on HDD (not usb drive or cloud), and redownloaded DLC to HDD. Still no go for my account. I finally gave up and chatted with an Xbox rep; he said that publishers can now lock DLC to 1 account, not per system like before (and like everything I've bought for the past 6+ years). So for me to play the DLC, I'd have to buy another Season Pass! Now this goes against what I was able to find as the most recent forum activity from Feb 8th, which the ambassador stated that all content is accessible by all accounts on 1st console, as per always. On top of all that, I asked how the end user, aka the customer, is supposed to know which DLC's are locked to 1 account and which are not.  Supposedly, I'd have to contact the publisher of whatever game I wanted DLC for, and see if they could tell me. I am awaiting 2K to give me a specific answer relating to Borderlands 2, but when did MS change/allow publisher's to decide if DLC was tied to system or account?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I did not know this either, but to me it would seem logical from an economical standpoint that content you got through a season pass is only accessible by the account who has the season pass.

So I could imagine that only DLC part of a season pass will be accessible to one account and normal DLC bought without a season pass will stay accessible by all the accounts.

But that is just a guess from me.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Correct. If you purchase a Season Pass only the account that bought it would be able to use the content.

Sorry this didn't help.

Publishers have always been able to decide how the licensing works on their content. It just used to be a lot more rare that content would be locked to the account that purchased it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't feel so bad now, it seems like they Season Pass DLC is still a bit confusing. I bought the MW3 Elite Pass and that was opened to all users per Xbox. It was suggested that now all Season Passes are locked to 1 account. It sounds like not buying a Pass is the best option for people with multiple Xbox users, since whatever savings could be had (usually $10) is negated by having to buy extra Passes. Maybe a sticky on the forum explaining Season Passes is in order.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey sunburntpenguin, sorry for the confusion here! This information should be listed in either the Terms and Conditions or description at time of purchase so in the future make sure to check there.

As far as a forum sticky goes, I'm a bit hesitant as the logistics vary depending on the season pass but if you think it would be a good addition we'd definitely take a sticky post submission! Feel free to send me or one of my fellow support agents a PM about it. :)

Sorry this didn't help.