Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS)

What do you know about this, as it pertains to hacking/modding online games? I just found out that this type of stuff exists recently, and am curious to know how to prevent or stop it from happening.

I have definitely experienced this before online on the Xbox 360, wherein I entered a hacker's game and proceeded to cuss him out for unlocking all the achievements that I was going for in a particular game, upon which he took the liberty of freezing my entire console such that I had to completely reboot it.

Have any of you experienced this type of thing yourselves, and if so, what was the final result?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

One common method of attack involves saturating the target machine with external communications requests, such that it cannot respond to legitimate traffic, or responds so slowly as to be rendered effectively unavailable. In general terms, DoS attacks are implemented by either forcing the targeted computer(s) to reset, or consuming its resources so that it can no longer provide its intended service or obstructing the communication media between the intended users and the victim so that they can no longer communicate adequately.

Can be prevented by proactive testing before said attack, by black holing (sending bad data to a void or non-existent server, sinkholing (gets rid of bad data by analyzing all traffic), and finally clean pipes (when traffic is passed through a "cleaning center" via proxy and good and bad data is sorted accordingly)

Thanks Wikipedia

He could of easily used a 48 hour card, that dosen't change his GT status.

[quote user="Covert Affairs"]

Your a silver account

So you broke the rules.

Not possible.

TROLL

[/quote]

I'm sorry, but you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Too many assumptions abound to count. Just because I am a silver account now doesn't mean I couldn't have had a gold membership in the past.

I wouldn't make stuff up just for the sake of it. I have legitimately had my console frozen by a hacker in a certain game. How do you know it's impossible when every game runs on a different code? You don't, just another assumption.

And yes, I rightfully cussed a hacker out because he was able to unlock all my achievements in-game before I got to even attempt them myself. This is FACT. I don't care if you believe me or not, all it does is make you that much more vulnerable to an attack yourself because you choose to remain arrogantly ignorant and oblivious to real problems that are taking place on this console.

The only one 'trolling' in this thread is you by making baseless assumptions about me without merit. Good day to you sir.

[quote user="Covert Affairs"]

So many things wrong with everything you just posted.

[/quote]

I stand by everything I just said. My words would hold up in the eyes of God.

As an individual in a similar professional field as the one you're about to go into, as a little piece of advice, if you want to be successful at what you do, then it is essential that you look outside the box and take into account all the information available before jumping to a unnecessary conclusion. Make sure you know where the carotid artery is before you start just cutting away, otherwise you might wind up with a big mess on your hands. And make damn sure you know where the positive and negative ends go on that AED before you attempt to defibrillate that patient, otherwise you'll hear the unnervingly eerie sound of a flatline.

Covert loves to assume things and loves to troll threads even more. However, there is one thing that does seem odd. Did you knowingly enter a modded lobby or unknowingly?? I am, by no means accusin you of anythin, just tryin to get the facts straight.

[quote user="Kurokage22"]

Covert loves to assume things and loves to troll threads even more. However, there is one thing that does seem odd. Did you knowingly enter a modded lobby or unknowingly?? I am, by no means accusin you of anythin, just tryin to get the facts straight.

[/quote]

LOL at the irony. A week back you accused me of not knowing what I was talking about because I was a silver member.

Now that I'm gold member, does it mean the everything I say is 100% right?

I recall statin that I misread. Perhaps you want to go to said thread and confirm??

I recall statin that I misread. Perhaps you want to go to said thread and confirm??

[/quote]

Ok, apology accepted.

However, there is one thing that does seem odd. Did you knowingly enter a modded lobby or unknowingly?? I am, by no means accusin you of anythin, just tryin to get the facts straight.

[/quote]

No, it wasn't a Call of Duty game or anything where you have to knowingly go through a series of steps to get infected in a modded lobby or what not. It's just a strictly multiplayer-driven game (Team Fortress 2, a game from 2007 which has zero developer support might I add) where you search for different matches to join and don't actually know whose game you're entering until you're actually in it. By that time the damage has already been done.