Disk unreadable on new game

I have an original Xbox 360 Arcade on which the warranty expired back in 2007.  Yes.. it's old.  It RROD'd last year so being some what of a techno-nerd, I opened it and fixed it myself (re-flow, new fan, etc.).  So I played it a while after that and put the thing away since life was not leaving me much time after I finished Gears of War 2.  Since Gears 3 came out I dusted the thing back off and ordered a copy.  I got the game in today (It's the first game since Gears of War 2 that I've purchased) and the CD won't load.  Screen goes black like it's going to load, then it disconnects me immediately from Live, and kicks me back to the dashboard.  If I try to do anything else with the disk it tells me the disk is unreadable.  Prior to trying the new game I installed all the updates from Live.  Does this mean I'm going to need to purchase a new $300 console just to play Gears of War 3?  I tried all other games in it and they work fine.. so I went to the store and picked up Dead Space, and it plays fine.  I tried clearing the cache, removing the hard drive (I had added on a 20gb HD a few years ago), even deleting all my profiles, recovering my gamer tag, and trying again.  Same result.  Black screen, disconnect from Live, and booted back to the dashboard. 

What are my options?  Junk it and buy a new one, or pay for a repair?  Will Microsoft even repair it since I repaired it myself back in early 2010?

Thanks

Spliner69

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

I dont think Microsoft will even talk to you about since you have already opened it on your own.  If I was in your shoes, I would bit the bullet and get a new 360.  I wish I had better news or better info for you.  Good luck and happy gaming.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Agreed.  New slim is on its way.  Spent a couple hours online with a support person and came to the conclusion that it has the old samsung drives and it likely won't read the new format correctly.  Guess the kids get another xbox for their older games lol.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.