Dishonored DLCs Rip-Off - US DLC not compatible with PAL consoles

I used to have a US account on my PAL console due to having moved there to live there for a few years. As such, I downloaded all kinds of DLC for my PAL games (US NTSC games didn't work) and never had a problem with any of it.

Sometimes I could not Download a full game because it was NTSC coded, but the Console always, ALWAYS told me that the game I wanted to buy was not compatible with my console and I hadn't been charged.

In July I bought two Dishonored DLCs, Knife of Dunwall and Dunwall City Trials. I paid for those, downloaded them, but never had a chance to play it. Then I moved back to Germany, migrated my Xbox profile to Germany. Just today, I installed Dishonored again to the HDD and tried to play the DLCs for the first time, and I get the dreaded "The Disc is unreadable - clean it with a soft cloth" Error and get booted to the Dashboard. The Disc. With DLC.

So I did the usual, cleared cache, reinstalled game, nothing.

Then I tried to re-download the DLC... and couldn't.

I am now on the German Xbox Live (and thank you for forcing us to suffer through a German Dashboard translated by Google Translate), and apparently, the DLC is different or something, because it asked me to pay for it again. I checked my download history, and it showed both purchases, but when I try to access the DLC through the Download History I get an Error: "There was a problem with the Xbox Service, try again later, Error Code 800700E8"

On the off-chance, I tried using another US account from my partner that's still US, but to no avail. The same thing happened (Disc Read Error).

So I checked online, on Xbox.com, checked my download history there, and both are there - but again, when I try to click on them, or add them to my Download Queue I get an error, this time: "Unfortunately, the Content is not available"

Finally, I deleted my profile from the console, downloaded it, tried to access the DLCs through my Download History again, and it's still the same problem. I can't use the DLC, and I can't download it again from the Download History or from Xbox.com, and going to it on the Marketplace, it wants me to pay the money I already paid for it - my purchase history is proof of that.

I finally found some info on the web, on this forum, where it says that if you downloaded the DLCs with a US account on a PAL console, you got the NTSC version and that wouldn't work: http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/8/p/758385/2988639.aspx#2988639 - and that since the US and PAL version are different (not by content, just out of spite), you having downloaded the US version (that won't work on your console and that you shouldn't have been allowed to download at all) would NOT allow you to delete that and (after migrating to a PAL country) download the PAL version again.

So I contacted MS support, who were less than helpful, basically telling me that some licenses get lost in migration. To the fact that I never could've played the NTSC DLC on my PAL console and that they sold me content I could never have used, they remained silent. No reimbursement, no unlocking the PAL DLC.

I have paid for this, I have proof of that. The content is identical except for the PAL version featuring support for more languages, it was bought at the same price than the PAL content was sold, and it does not violate any German censorship laws.

Suffice to say, I am not amused.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 174 Applies to:

Hi P4NCH0theD0G,

Sorry to hear about this situation. It sounds quite frustrating. Well let's see what we can do here.

One thing to note in our Change the Region of your Xbox LIVE Account support article, is that DLC is not guaranteed to work after a region change. 

As for troubleshooting steps, have you tried transferring your license? This has been known to alleviate DLC issues caused by region changes. Here is our Xbox License Transfer support article which has steps on how to complete that process. 

Let us know how that goes, or if you have anymore questions.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the answer.

I understood that DLC might not work after a transfer, but nothing was said about not being able to download that content again, if it's available. It's not like it's censored content that's "Not available in your location", the content is exactly the same, just with more languages in the PAL version (thus the bigger size). I mean, I can still play my Dead Rising 2 Case Zero DLC, and that is not available here in Germany at all.

And the funny thing is, I downloaded that content with my US account while I already was in Germany (my region transfer had issues and it took almost a month until it was complete), so the IP check should've prevented me from getting the incompatible NTSC version for my PAL console in the first place.

Anyway... I am unsure about the License Transfer, as it seems to me that I need another Xbox for that. I don't have easy access to another Xbox 360. Can I do that even if it's already on the console? I mean on the same console I have issues on using said DLC? I already tried deleting and re-downloading my profile with no success.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, okay, I tried the License Transfer. Then it told me my Licenses were updated online, and to go to my Download History and download the stuff again to update it on the console.

Same problem still remains: I choose one of the two DLCs, press A, empty pop-up window, loading, then Error: "There was a Problem with the Xbox Service, please try again later, for more info on Error Code 800700E8 check..."

I can't even get to the actual name of the DLC.

So, what now? I tried adding the DLCs to the queue via Xbox.com, but it only says: The content is not available anymore. And when I click on the Content Link "Dunwall City Trials" (marketplace.xbox.com/.../a155c37d-4acd-4f84-abee-77607ddd504e) I get a Error page: Hoops, you found a glitch in the system...

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, okay, I tried the License Transfer. Then it told me my Licenses were updated online, and to go to my Download History and download the stuff again to update it on the console.

Same problem still remains: I choose one of the two DLCs, press A, empty pop-up window, loading, then Error: "There was a Problem with the Xbox Service, please try again later, for more info on Error Code 800700E8 check..."

I can't even get to the actual name of the DLC.

So, what now?

I tried adding the DLCs to the queue via Xbox.com, but it only says: The content is not available anymore. And when I click on the Content Link "Dunwall City Trials" (marketplace.xbox.com/.../a155c37d-4acd-4f84-abee-77607ddd504e) I get a Error page: Hoops, you found a glitch in the system...

But when I replace the German parts in the Link (de-DE) with US parts (en-US), I get to this page here: marketplace.xbox.com/.../a155c37d-4acd-4f84-abee-77607ddd504e  and the page works. It also tells me I already downloaded that content. When I try to add it to the queue, though, it says: The content is not available in your region.

I'm running out of things to do here...

Sorry this didn't help.

I also don't understand why it is not possible for MS/Xbox Support to simply revoke the license for the US content and give me the license for the PAL content.

It's the same content, I paid for the content, yet I was never able to play it since I was sold content that was not compatible with my region/version of the game. Even before the Migration I couldn't have used it. That`s really not my fault.

I moved to Germany, I initiated the migration of my account to Germany. MS had issues with the transfer, it took almost a month. I remained during that time on a US account, but MS support assured me, that I could use the account and the points on it with no restrictions. During that time I downloaded both DLCs, from a PAL console with a German IP, yet I got the NTSC version.

Is there really nothing that can be done about this?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I have the same problem. I have PAL console and downloaded as I understand the NTSC version of Dishonored DLC The Brigmore Witches. And when I try to play it I get the "The Disc is unreadable - clean it with a soft cloth" error. Is there any chance for me to play this DLC?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there P4NCHO,

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues playing your DLC.

The marketplace you access is determined by your account region not by the IP or console type, so while your region was being transferred, you most likely were accessing the US marketplace.

The reason that the English Dunwall City Trials shows as purchased is that your account was accessing the US marketplace when you purchased it. The German marketplace Dunwall City Trials has a different code altogether than the US one, so simply replacing the region designation with de-DE is what led you to the broken link.

The PAL version of many games in Germany, Poland, and Russia is very specific to those regions and I know that Dishonored NTSC in particular is not PAL compatible. You most likely will need to repurchase the correct regional version of that DLC.

You may be able to contact your local Phone Support and explore the possibility of a refund..

@Whales - If you're account is in a different region from your physical location, you most likely are experiencing a similar issue with having a region locked copy of the DLC. You can also try contacting Phone Support to pursue a refund.

Sorry this didn't help.

P4NCH0theD0G, I think the point that Mister Ohnaka was making is that because you have migrated your account from US to Germany it means the DLC is no longer valid. As your account is now on the German locale it means your account is trying to access the German Xbox Marketplace where you "don't own" the DLC instead of the USA one where you bought it.

Also, the DLC may be region locked based on your IP. Some Publishers/Developers impose this (Treyarch and Capcom to name a couple) which would explain why your other USA account couldn't download either as your IP is German and the account American.

Sorry this didn't help.