Disc unreadable help please!

Game Error

This disc is unreadable

1. Clean the disc with a soft cloth

2. Restart the console

For more help, visit www.xbox.com/support

I received this error every 20 minutes playing a brand new game, 2nd disc!  In May, I had a brand new game and played for 2 weeks before error. I took back to store and swapped it for another brand new game and now after 1 week with this new disc, same thing.  I cannot believe it likely that I had 2 bad discs new in box, is something wrong with my XBOX 360 CD ROM drive?  I have had the unit since 2005 when the system came out.  Can the drive be cleaned?  I tried cleaning the discs, cleaning the tray, but still get this error. 

Thanks for your help!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

If you have the console since 2005, you are probably the only person who still has one that old.  Hence I would say that the dvd drive is dying.  Only one choice really: call and set up a repair for $100.  To be honest, you would be better off just to buy a brand-new console.

Resist the urge for self-repair...that will get you banned from Live.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey mate, have you tried the steps listed here? If those don't resolve your issue, then I'm inclined to agree with Red Shift and say that your console will need a repair. You can set one up here.

Sorry this didn't help.

yeah thats awesome take a console that youve properly  maintained and pay another 100 bucks to fix something that you didnt break brilliant thinking

Sorry this didn't help.