Disc Unreadable Error On Downloaded Game???

I purchase a lot of games from the Games On Demand on Xbox Live.   I just recently purchased Just Cause 2, however while attempting to play the game right at the title screen I receive the Disc Unreadable Error telling me to clean the disc & try again.  There is no disc since it is a Downloaded Game, so what is up with the error?  I have several other games downloaded & all work just fine.  I have cleared the cache & also deleted plus redownloaded the game a couple times yet still I receive the error.  I'm completely confused with this one, anyone heard of this before?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 25 Applies to:

Hey there! I know this will sound repetitive, but please try doing these steps in this order: delete the game, clear the system cache, restart the console, and then redownload from Download History. Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

hey im having the same problem, did you manage to fix this?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes.  This is a problem that can occur from time to time.  Generally, the issue is caused by a hardware fault with the storage device.  Sometimes the problem appears after a download glitch, but this almost never happens because the data is verified when downloading.

The reason why the system says 'disc read error', even when installed on a USB drive - or traditional Xbox 360 a hard drive is because the Xbox 360 Operating System is quite basic and has never been programmed/updated to record specific read errors from anything other than a DVD.  This does not mean there is no read error, there is, otherwise the game would be still be working.

Generally, deleting and re-downloading a game with this issue won't help as the game will occupy the same location on the storage device again, and will produce the same issue.  The only option you have is to delete the game, go to the marketplace and add a demo.  When the demo has downloaded, re-download your game again.  This will insure that the game will occupy a different location on the hard drive.

If it's a USB device, you'll need to replace it.  USB Flash storage has no moving parts and stores data in a completely different way.  Even USB Flash storage doesn't last forever.

Sorry this didn't help.