Disc is ureadable- Help!

So my xbox 360 is maybe 1.5 years old.  I don't play on it nearly as much as some do.  Last week I played a game in the console and it worked fine.  Today when I wanted to play, the game would load to the multiplayer screen and show an message.  The message states this disc is unreadable dispite being on the MP screen.  The disc looks new with no scratches or smuges.  I tried blowing air through the tray and still get the message. 

This similar occurance happened about a year ago where it would not work for a week.  Since a year ago it worked fine without any problems. The machine just went through an update and we are back to the old disc is unreadable and that I needed to clean it.

I went through all the support trouble shooting and no help. I found a trouble shooting on this forum. No luck.  Anyone have any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Have you tried different disk?

I would try a few different disk (games, dvds, etc). If you have the same problems with those disk then the drive is going bad. If it is just one disk then there is an issue with the disk for some reason.

If it is just the one disk you can try installing the game. Then the only time the drive will read the disk is on start up.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tried a different disk and it plays perfectly.  How do you install a game to the HD? I'll check forums

Sorry this didn't help.

Insert the disc, then on the main part of the Dashboard where the title appears (upper left) and you normally press A to launch, press X instead to bring up details. In the next menu, choose Install. It might ask you which storage device to use (if you have multiple). Choose one, then just let it install.

Xbox Forums moderator. Xbox MVP. r/xboxinsiders moderator. Twitter: @13mxn

Sorry this didn't help.

Great!!! Thanks I am down loading it so maybe it wont be a problem any more :}

Sorry this didn't help.

RansackedCape7, please do not bump threads from over a year ago.  Feel free to start a post of your own.  Post your issue in detail and tell us what troubleshooting steps you have taken.  Do this so that we may assist you with your specific problem.  Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.