Disc drive "Opening" but never Opening

I've been having a recent issue to where I can no longer seem to play games (at least on discs) on my Xbox 360 S anymore. Whenever I put a disc in the tray and close it, it says it is "reading" for literally a second then automatically changes to that it is opening.... but isn't opening at all. It started playing discs after a while but now it is getting worse to the point where it no longer wants to change from that Opening status. It also seemed to randomly go to the opening status during games really wrecking my fun. I checked the support website and it didn't have any option related to this at all to select and when calling customer support, they just had me go through the same thing (not happy about that..) I've cleared the cache of the HD, checked for any corrupted data, removed the disc while doing so, tried different discs, clean discs, etc etc etc. This is coming to the point of frustration that I decided to see who else is receiving the issue. While surfing around, I found these websites:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/18/new-xbox-360-update-incompatible-with-some-models-ms-offering-r/

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/05/breaking-will-the-latest-xbox-live-update-affect-dvd-drives/

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/microsoft-fixes-faulty-xbox-360-update-by-giving-away-a-free-console/24965

For those that didn't wish to read them, they basically say that there has been an issue with the Disc Drive not reading games since one of the updates and I was thinking, "Hey! This issue began after the most recent update." This gets me to my point of wondering if the issue is at all related to this or not. I know the last link speaks of giving away a free console and a Year of Xbox LIve fixed, but I just want the thing fixed, nothing more.

Lastly: Is anyone else having this issue besides me? I would like to know that it isn't just related to me or if anyone has any info on how to fix it, whether it is related to the recent issue, or if that it may just be singled out to me. Thanks everyone.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

The issue with the update preventing games from being read was on a very small percentage of the original 360 consoles, it was not related to the s model.

It seems you have listed most troubleshooting tips for disc read errors already, have you tried running through the steps in the disc wizard yet or removing your HDD completely?.
You are running out of options though before a service repair will be the next step.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The Disc Wizard is what I meant when I put "I checked the support website and it didn't have any option related to this at all". I have also tried removing the Disc Drive. This is why I thought it could have been an issue caused by the latest firmware update. If these suggestions are really the only other thing that could be done and the service repair is all I can do, I'd rather just buy a new Xbox. Last time I sent my other Xbox 360 in, they shipped it back with a tilted disc drive as though it wasn't placed correctly in the chassis and I ended up having to send it back all over again. (Total of 4 times for the same box of its lifespan) Luckily I had a warranty throughout that whole nonsense. However, I don't have warranty on my S model and the service charge is just $100 short of a whole new console. A whole new console with warranty sounds a whole lot better than another incident like the console prior to my S model.

Sorry this didn't help.

I figured it might now help but it was worth a try.

Hold off on buying one just yet, have sent an enquiry off so hopefully they will pop in here and have a look at this for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar problem with my launch model. However, it was proceeded by the "disc is unreadable error." It was a month out of warranty so I just bought a new one.

Still not happy about that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey mate, there is a section of that disc-drive troubleshooter that relates to a constant 'Open Tray' status. That being said, the fact that you removed the disc drive means that the console is now disqualified from official repair, meaning your only option in this case will be to purchase a new console.

Sorry this didn't help.

That is a mistake on my part. When I put "Disc Drive" I meant the Hard drive... long work nights. And as stated before, I have gone through the troubleshooter for the open tray status. It didn't help, it doesn't directly relate to my issue being that mine says "Opening" rather than "Open tray".

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems that you may well need to order a repair/service then DAB, it looks like all the troubleshooting steps for read/drive errors have been tried.

Sorry this didn't help.

this could quite easily get you and your console banned from xbox live it is against the TOC of xbox live and if you have opened and removed your disc drive then ,you may have damaged the unit , you may have incorrectly installed your disc drive correclty , or XBL have picked up on you and are getting revenge

Sorry this didn't help.

If you'd read my post correcting myself, you would have saved yourself a whole lot of time Ninja. It wasn't the Disc Drive I removed, but the Hard drive. Thanks for the unneeded heads up.

Sorry this didn't help.