Disappearing Achievements?

I've noticed that multiple achievements on my account have disappeared, not all, but a good chunk of them, especially with my Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2. The first one isn't as bad but there are achievements missing I know I've gotten. The second one is worse, I've played through 3 storylines and it keeps telling me I only have 3 achievements?! What happened to the other 20?

Also, I've tried looking up answers, I've signed in and out, I've even deleted my gamer profile and then recovered it like so many forums have suggested. Nothing happened, everything is still missing.

Help? I spend a lot of time on this game for it to tell me I've basically achieved nothing.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Is there any chance you earned these achievements while playing offline and then you recovered your profile onto another console?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Jane. I have a few questions to help us figure out what's happening to your achievements.  

-Do you usually play online or offline?

-Did you see the achievements "pop"?

-Are you using a save that is associated with your Gamertag?

I'll keep an eye out for your reply!

Sorry this didn't help.

Have You Modded it in any shape or form , or have you unlocked them on a differant drive / or offline

NOTE : If so for modding ,

1/ dont mod its against terms

2/ you can lose achievments

3/ you can get reset

if you havnt then i dont know my friend , sorry

Sorry this didn't help.

I play the Dragon Age games offline, always. I have always seen the achievements pop up, I don't know the "whats" and "hows" of modding things so that can't be it, I have one console, with my gamertag and everything being saved onto the hard drive.

I've recently came back on XBOX live in July, and before that I still had the achievements, I can't help but feel that when I had to update to the new dashboard that that is somehow related, in other forums I've heard it's a possible that there are related problems but I can't be sure.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your offline gamertag and online gamertag data didn't match up, so Xbox Live opted to keep the information it had online over the data that your offline account was providing when it signed in. This can happen if you obtained achievements offline while using one console/storage device, and also obtained achievements during that same time frame online using a different console/storage device (presumably by recovering your gamertag to that console/storage device via Xbox Live).

One easy way to avoid this is to only have 1 copy of your gamertag on a USB device (no matter how tempting it may be to recover your gamertag to the HDD on any/all consoles you may use).

If you have never used your gamertag on any other console, and haven't recovered it to a different storage device, then there may have been a different problem with your gamertag that triggered Xbox Live to prefer the data it had online rather than to accept the data provided when you logged in. One thing you may want to check whenever you are playing offline is if the console has the correct date and time? This will often get reset if your console is unplugged (or turned of via powerstrip, etc) for any period of time. The date/time will always be correct (assuming timezone is set properly) whenever you are connected to Xbox Live, but as soon as you are offline you may end up with a date that is back in 2005. Not sure if this may have affected your profile, but it is something to keep an eye on.

Just be careful in how you go about re-obtaining those achievements. Although it may be possible to pop some of them using your game saves, getting them "out of order" or too quickly may trigger account tampering mechanisms and get your account in trouble. So, if you really want to have those achievements on your account, you may want to start over fresh with any games that were affected.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah whenever my console gets moved or unplugged it always resets to the first time it was ever set, so if I forget to change it, it likes to think it's 2005 permanently.

But there really is no other way of recovering the achievements other than starting over? Is this an issue xbox is trying to fix?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sadly. No. There is no way to get those achievements back. The profile stored on your console was updated to match the one that was on Xbox Live, so that data is now gone. And I doubt they are going to 'fix' this, since I assume it was put in place to stop people from 'gamesaving' (i.e. sharing save game files amongst profiles, which requires modding and is thus in violation of the TOS), as well as hindering people with mod'ed consoles from playing copies offline and then uploading their achievements to Xbox Live using a virgin console.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well... that blows. But thank you for your assistance, I just really wanted to know what had caused it to happen. But one last question: to prevent this from happening again, is it too late now to put the profile on a memory unit and remove it from the console then?

Sorry this didn't help.

You cannot "copy" your gamertag to a USB device directly (you can only move it). Technically, you could recover your profile to a USB device and end up with one on your HDD and one on the USB. But, this will make things a lot more complicated whenever you connect to Xbox Live. There is no easy way to 'backup' your gamertag.

However, what happened to you is the exception, and not the norm. Something unusual occurred that caused Xbox Live to not trust the information your gamertag was trying to upload. It could have been something as simple as corrupt data in your gamertag that happened if/when your console froze/crashed or was accidentally shut down while it was updating the game info (i.e. power outage, unplugged by little sister, dog, etc)?

I would recommend against having your gamertag in more than one place precisely to avoid the situation that you encountered. Your best bet is to try to be connected to Xbox Live as often as you can, even if you are not currently paying for a Gold subscription. As a Silver member you will still get updates and patches for games you play, as well as keeping your profile and dashboard current.

Sorry this didn't help.

I did have a power outage a couple months back and I got the red ring of death on my console, but it somehow survived. I guess that could have corrupted the data.

Sorry this didn't help.