Digital or Disc?

With the outstanding offers on the marketplace it's hard to refuse, but I for one do prefer to own retail games on its physical hard copy than digital format, though, if I really like the game I'll buy it more than once (which happened to GRID).

-

Digital for me is strictly for XBLA games, and maybe, Indie games (so far only bought one).

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

@GUN5L1NGER. Next gen it probably won't matter though. I mean we went from memory cards on the playstation to an 8 GB HDD on the Xbox to 250GB and 320GB on the 360. Hard drive space is really cheap these days and people are putting 1TB drives in their PS3's for right around 100.00.

The Ultimate Sale that just happened is also a very good example at how cost effective Digital Downloads can really be if the company decides to keep up the trend. Compared to retail prices, I saved myself $174.00 for the week. And even when buying physical. It's still very wise to install your discs to your hard drive. Thanks to my son moving the system with the disc inside, my copy of BLops2 is ruined. But thankfully since it is installed to the HDD as well, I am still able to play it.

[quote user="GUN5L1NGER"]

Games will just keep getting bigger, so no hard drive will ever be big enough to store everything.

[/quote]But so will memory tech... remember how it was before the thumb drive?

^

To me even buying the same game on different platforms is unnecessary and pointless, unless the game is a MP and you have a group of friends on both platforms that play with, then that's fair enough.  Surely the game on platform A can't be any different than platform B, can it?

-

I don't know his reason either, but it came across that he has the physical copy and liked it so much he went along and bought the digital too.

I always prefer discs over digital. I like actually owning the game then just having the licence to play it. 

Still even on PC, I rather have a physical copy. Even though most times, it's just a code in a box with the option to download from the CD.
[quote user="Mafivee"]Why? That just sounds unnecessary and pointless.[/quote]
I purchase games on multiple platforms as well sometimes. Don't know about his reasons for double purchasing though. I usually for the most part, play PC but most of my friends don't and all one of the consoles. So some times, I buy twice so I can play with some of them. 

Not forgetting unforeseen circumstances like the recently Microsoft Cloud disruption.

I can see both sides to the argument, and now you guys got me thinking. I think it all comes down to which is cheaper. I don't mind digital when it comes to moving around, or if a fire happens. But when it comes to actually having the game and saying, "yes, I own it" then physical copy reigns true. I'm interested to see how next generation consoles pans out as far as digital vs. physical goes.

Generally physical copies for me. Although in the future, it is hard to say. I said the same with my books and now I am using a Kindle Paperwhite for those needs.

But what if your hard drive breaks. Discs are safer.

[quote user="PlatinumSpectre"]

[quote user="ICN3D"]

[quote user="ICN3D"]

[quote user="ICN3D"]

[quote user="SpeckledEagle"]

I just don't feel safe putting all of my information into one place.

[/quote]

In contrast where you're physical copies are useless when you get a RROD?

[/quote]

Ummm... your digital copies would be too...

[/quote]

Ummm, your physical copies would be too...

[/quote]

At least with physical copies I could either:

A) get a new xbox, start playing instantly

B) go to friends, play instantly

C) If I don't want another xbox, sell physical games

[/quote]

Like I said, with consoles I like physical games, but some of you are making digital out to be some crazy idea from a lunatic.

Yes, you are right, but there are benefits to digital that would make the benefits you mentioned even out.....like:

- Not having to get up and put in a disc everytime

- Not having to drive to a Gamestop to buy a game

- digital games can make things cheaper

- you don't have to worry about space to store 100 games

It's just not the evil things some are making it out to be.

[/quote]

Point 1 - pure laziness

Point 2 - I get my games delivered online so I don't go anywhere

Point 3 - Microsoft doesn't seem to realise this

Point 4 - It's not like they take up much room anyway

-

I'm only against digital at the moment because in the UK the broadband can't just handle it. If I were to download a 10GB game I would be sat for at least a whole day waiting for it to download.

-

When the UK get's its act together and makes it's internet better than a 3rd world country's I'll start adopting more digital purchases.

And that's if Sony/Microsoft actually sell them cheaper than they are now.

[/quote]

How suprising.  You came up with complete legit reason why I'm just stupid or crazy.  When you get older and have to do things everyday all day....you'll take every bit of laziness you can get.

And I have around 100 games on my PC through digital.....that doesn't include the 100 or so I have that are physical.....so don't act like eveyone would just love to have a whole bookcase of all those games taking up wall space.

I swear....you seem adamant on proving me wrong when I'm not even disagreeing with you.  Both physical copies and digital copies have their benefits.

Regardless of your oh so intelligent counters.

100.00 is hardly a good price for 26 games and you are practically giving them away.Thats less than 4.00 a game and is exactly what i am talking about. Before the Gamestop bubble grew so massive, 26 games would have got you three to four times that amount unless they were old sports games. But unfortunatly It doesn't matter how many GameStop stores are in your area, when publishers are dropping their MSRP's so fast to try and compete with the used market, values go down everywhere. You can talk about demand all you want but when Gears 3 is selling for 14.99 brand new and 8.00 used on amazon, that was hardly worth spending 60.00 new on it near release with the intention of selling it one day.