Despite glitches and ending, ME3 is still an AMAZING game...(SPOILERS)

I loved 98% if this game. The last two percent is reserved for the ending and character import issues and other glitches. Let's talk about story, dialogue, gameplay, and graphics. (SPOILERS)

[

The story was awesome (excluding the ending). I absolutely loved how I visited nearly all the homeworlds of all the main species and helped them out. The final battle on Earth is probably one of the most climactic battles I've ever participated in. My only complaint is that you didn't really recieve assitance from other friendly characters that weren't in your squad. I think it would have been cool to be in a battle where there are a several aliens of each race all around you fighting a ton of reapers and you and your squad are just making your way through the battle. But I don't see that happening in this generation without it feeling all empty and scripted like Call of Duty (because technology just isn't there for REAL epic battles yet). The fact that the battles still felt epic when it was mostly just 3 good guys vs. a boat load of bad guys was impressive.

[

The squadmates are all fleshed out and each have their own personality. They feel like real people. Some people had some high expectations as to how much interactive dialogue they would get with characters but I can tell you that you get more dialogue out of each character in this game than any character in the previous two games. I've only done one love interest so far (Tali) and it was very satisfying (though you didn't get to see her face except in a lame photoshop picture). I guess the only dissapointment is with how much dialogue there is with characters from previous games that didn't return as squadmates. I never had high expectations for that so it isn't a problem but don't expect any kind of deep romance with Jacob, Miranda, or Thane.

Dialogue. Though I do wish that there was more dialogue choices throughout conversation as well a neutral choice, I can see why Bioware did the dialogue the way that they did. There was way too much conversation in this game for you to be able to choose everything you were going to say. It would have taken too long to program and would have taken too many hours of voice acting from the main cast to make 3 different lines for each time you speak. Also, conversation between your character and others feels more realistic than the previous two games because your character responds a like a real person. In the previous games, you would usually just ask a question or make a comment and whoever you were talking to would give you a long, drawn out answer (and would, overall, speak way more than you). I can see why fans didn't like the "loss of control" but in the end, my shepard felt more like a real person that I guided along rather than a robot that I completey controlled. I liked that.

[

Gameplay. I had a hard time adjusting to it. I didn't think I was going to like it all throughout the Mars mission but it definitely gets better. I actually like it more than Gears of War gameplay. Rolling around and taking cover might not be so smooth but I'd trade that for great squad controls and powers/abilities any day. My only issue is that the weapon sounds of friendly and enemy AI is pretty week. Your own gun sounds awesome and some weapons your allies and enemies use sound awesome too. But I can barely hear it when somebody (other than me) shoots an AR or pistol. They sound like whispers in the wind. Maybe I'm just spoiled from the amazing sound in Battlefield 3 but if I could mod this game, I would turn up the volume of NPC weapons.

[

Graphics. Utterly amazing. It is probably the best looking game I've ever played. Now it isn't photo-realistic like LA Noire or Battlefield 3 (on PC) nor does it have the lighting/texture effects like Gears of War 3, or the sheer amount of detail that Crysis has.. But the art direction is unbelievable. My favorite part has to be the amount of detail that goes into far off distances. The Earth city in the beginning of the game is so vivid and clear. Usually backgrounds and objects far off in the distance don't get much detail but there is almost more detail in the backdrops than there is in your immediate area. I love seeing the giant reaper ships moving around and occasionally shooting lasers in the distance, I love seeing all the detailed and itricate buildings, and the night skies on Pavalan's moon and at the end of the game are some of the most beatiful things I have ever seen.

[

I'd give this game a 9.3/10 now but as soon as the character import patch is implemented and a satisfactory ending is available as DLC (which is guaranteed seeing as how so many people would purchase it and EA loves $$$), I'd give the game a 9.8/10. (I gave ME1 a 9.5/10 and ME2 a 10 so I might have difference preferences and expectations than you).

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

I admit, I didn't read all that.. but I read enough to know I agree. I really liked the game.. hell, I loved the game right up until the last 5 minutes. Take away that horrible ending, and it was a great game worthy of the Mass Effect name.

Is Mass Effect 3 a good game? Yes, it is. Is it worthy of being the culmination of your story in the previous games? No, it isn't.

-

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Mass Effect (Don't ask me how much I've spent on Mass Effect merchandise... please don't ask lol) and sci fi in general (bit of a Trekker and 'Wars' fan), and I guess I did enjoy Mass Effect 3 for the most part, the ending has sullied my overall feeling for this game and, to a lesser extent, even to play the earlier games... to know that my decisions and such, the characters I bonded with over the last five years... /sigh/...

[quote user="Deaths Head 200"]

Is Mass Effect 3 a good game? Yes, it is. Is it worthy of being the culmination of your story in the previous games? No, it isn't.

-

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Mass Effect (Don't ask me how much I've spent on Mass Effect merchandise... please don't ask lol) and sci fi in general (bit of a Trekker and 'Wars' fan), and I guess I did enjoy Mass Effect 3 for the most part, the ending has sullied my overall feeling for this game and, to a lesser extent, even to play the earlier games... to know that my decisions and such, the characters I bonded with over the last five years... /sigh/...

[/quote]

I'm a rebel lol. How much have you spent?

Like I said, I'm sure Bioware will release more endings as DLC. They will make us pay (which is BS, it should have all been on the disc at launch) but at least I'll be able to remember this series as being some of the best games I've ever played.

[

I'm hoping they do some kind of slideshow thing like at the end of Dragon Age Origins to show you how your decisions affected the galaxy.

I have to disagree about there being more dialogue between squadmates. I can literally waste two whole hours in ME2 just running around the ship talking to squadmates because they all have at least 5-10 mins of dialogues after every one or two major story missions. This one there are only a few key moments where you get to talk to your squadmates in detail.

[quote user="Ky3217"]

[quote user="Deaths Head 200"]

-

[/quote]

I'm a rebel lol. How much have you spent?

[/quote]

Drat... shot myself in the foot there >.<... Well, here goes...

-

Including all three games (As well as secondary copies as backups), the first three novels, about 3x 3,000 Microsoft Points cards for DLC, series 1 Mass Effect 2 figures, Cerberus variant Normandy, Alliance variant Normandy, N7 wallet, N7 cap, Both comic series, hardcover guidebook for Mass Effect 3, Art Book and the Xbox 360 vault (Yes... I sunk to a new low. I'm so ashamed... T.T)... I reckon I've spent about $1,100 AUSD on the Mass Effect franchise.

-

Spent a bit more on Final Fantasy stuff.... ugh.

[quote user="ahnariprellik"]

I have to disagree about there being more dialogue between squadmates. I can literally waste two whole hours in ME2 just running around the ship talking to squadmates because they all have at least 5-10 mins of dialogues after every one or two major story missions. This one there are only a few key moments where you get to talk to your squadmates in detail.

[/quote]You do know that you can get some great in depth conversation with all these characters at least 3 times on the citadel (if you visit between missions), right? As far as dialogue you get on the ship, yeah...ME2 squadmates have more there. But if you combine recruitment conversation, ship conversation, citadel conversation, hangout (special) conversation, and end game stuff, I'd say all of the squadmates have (on average) more dialogue than the characters from ME2.

[

Don't get me wrong, it's not like the ME3's character development blows ME2's character development out of the water. But all the love interests have way more "romance dialogue", Garrus is freakin awesome, EDI and Joker talk to you WAY more, Tali has her own important mission, etc. The only person who was somewhat lacking for me was Vega. He still had same great dialogue but I agree with you that he had a few too many non-conversation-wheel dialogue. But the rest almost feel like live characters to me. Especially Garrus.