Dedicated Servers

Since Treyarch is introducing League Play and all that jazz do you think, as a community, that they should look into giving us Dedicated Servers? I mean that right there would solve the lag issues that run from title to title, it would solve the issues of anyone 'hacking' the game, it might even solve the issue of BS kills. And these servers shouldn't mean that they require us to pay anything for them. They make enough money off of us as it is. Have been since Call of Duty 4 and it certainly would make up for their lack of effort on patching their older games (WaW for example). What are your thoughts? Yes or No to Dedicated Servers?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 3, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am sure I am going to get flamed here, but I thought in some interviews they have done with the COD devs that they stated dedicated servers couldn't happen as there are just too many people playing, and trying to connect around the world to one place and then ping back would cause worse lag issues than the way they are currently doing it. If they could fix the lag/cheaters, BS shots, etc, then I am for dedicated servers. I was just pretty sure they said it would never happen.

P2P matchmaking in COD is here to stay I'm afraid.

If an MMO can handle hundreds of players on a single server, I don't understand why COD's servers can't handle a max of about 18 players. They will need a lot of servers but if any multiplayer series can afford them, it's COD.

-

The first few days is always an issue because it doesn't seem like a good idea to buy/rent a crap ton of servers just for the first few days when millions are trying to get on at the same time. After the initial surge though, it should be fine.

-

Activision probably just doesn't want to spend more money than what is needed.

RTCW- 10 year+ game let you host your own public ranked games without charge may I add *ahem EA*

If you had a good connection you cold host np.

The problem is Matchmaking would have to be done away with for this to happen .This won't happen on LIVE as it a wasteland of noob friendliness  ;)

PC has dedicated servers, it's just more cost efficient not to have them.

[quote user="zNiTeY"]

PC has dedicated servers, it's just more cost efficient not to have them.

[/quote]

This. They won't gain that many more customers on console with dedicated servers, so why should they invest the time/money? The life of the PC version depends on dedicated servers.

It'd be cool if it was an option, but as has been said, it's unlikely and costly for the devs...not to say they don't have cash to spare.

No. Because Activision will switch them off around the same time as Black Ops 3 appears.

I still cant believe they haven't switched off the other CoD games from online play

There wont be dedis, but I do hope for the "locale" search to return. It helped me a ton.